Speeding up my PC

rlaval

New Member
I am trying to speed up my PC it has become extremely slow. I've cleaned out almost all files. Am planning on upgrading from 256 ram to 512 ram. I think the system is bogged down with internet clutter but I can't find it in the machine. I was considering formating the hard drive and starting over. Any suggestions?

Dell Dimension 2350
Pentium 4 2.2Ghz
256 ram
windows xp
 
Download and run Ccleaner. It will do a fair job of cleaning up your registry and temp internet files and it is free. You can find it @http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
 
This is the RAM that will fit in your computer. It can only take max of 1 GB, two of these will speed it up a bit :)

Kingston Value RAM 512MB 184-Pin 266 (PC 2100) for $21
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144001

What have you done for regular cleaning?

-checked all start-up tasks and disabled the ones that don't need to run?
-organize everything (pics, music, files, folders)?
-ran a disk clean-up with your C drive?
-ran disk defragmenter?
-adjusted visual effects for "best performance" in the control panel?
 
More Ram will help, i noticed that for my old system.

CCleaner will clean all the crap up off the hard drive.
 
I did the Ccleanup and it removed about 1300 items. I have already done a purge of all pics, music, unnesseccary files and removed programs. I have also already defragmented. I only have the top 10 items in the startup active. What is absolutely nesseccary in startup?
 
It really depends on what you do and what software you use. I only load the Operating System and a few drivers...that's it. Everything else I open when I need it.

Post a screen shot or copy and paste your stat-up programs that are running after a restart. I can give you some ideas on what to disable.
 
Here's what left running on start up.
igfxtray (windows system 32 command)
bcmsmmsg ( exe file)
ccApp (Symantic exe file)
oscheck (norton antivirus os check)
realsched (update exe)
hkcmd (system 32 command)
ctfmon (system 32 command)
dsagnt (dell support exe)

If any of these are not nesseccary i will uncheck them. I'd rather only the nesseccary open on startup.
 
Try Tune-Up utilities. It has many applications bundled to make computers faster. Do a defrag with it, remove unnecessary files, correct registry errors and so on. Just use Tune-Up utilities to do that.

If you don't want that, you could try removing the windows restore points which usually use lots of disk space.
To do that, launch disk cleanup, select the drive, wait until the scan is finished, and in the "More Options" tab click "Clean up..." under "System Restore". That can delete many GB of data if you never did that for months.
 
Back
Top