Spyware,firewall??

jonesnewton

Hi all, some advice please. Just put on Windows antispyware, and it seems great. Nothing found!
Is it worth getting some of the others that are on offer or just keep with this one?
I have Norton NSW 2005 installed and Windows firewall.I am told that Norton NIS has a firewall in it, so would it be worth upgrading to this?Or just stay with NSW?

Thanks..Neil

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
I personally hate NIS. It has intrusion detection, and a bunch of extra stuff,... a bit overboard if you ask me. As far as antispyware software to have, i think you'll do well with downloading the antispyware mainstays of Ad-awareSE and Spybot S&D, they are free and the are for manual scanning, not realtime scanning (your MSAS will do the realtime scanning). Update them every week and run a scan, one will pickup things that the other 2 don't. Note: with ad-aware, run the full scan not the smartscan. :)

randruff

spyware cannot be challenged by one army (sorry for the gay analogy).....simply, get adaware, spybot, MS anti-spyware beta, spyware blaster. DONT USE IE, get behind a router........that about sums it up

jonesnewton

Thanks for your replies, I have just loaded all that you have mentioned,, thanks. :D
I will have to ask though, what do you mean when you say IE?? Are you refering to inernet explorer?? :confused:

Thanks Neil :)

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
id have to recommend sygate personal firewall. its the only free firewall (other than MS) that allows networking, and it hasnt let me down so far.

fledder

Go with what randruff said. Use Spybot's Tea Timer setting for real-time protection. I have had to run Spybot and the others sometime in Safe Mode to get rid of pesky problems.

apj101

VIP Member
footballboy5000 said:
My suggestion would be either Spybot or Adaware! Those seem to be pretty good.

Not Spybot or Adaware, use both of them Spybot AND Adaware

leo

My experience; re Spyware detection programs;

I agree; use AdAware SE and SpyBot Search and Destroy.

I have found that AdAware finds just about the same number of things that SBS&D does, and sometimes AdAware finds a few items more than SBS&D. Hence, I would recommend using both of them.

As an experiment I installed the Microsoft Beta Version Spyware program. I then went to a site where I had gotten some spyware before and I tried using the MS Beta Spyware program and it would do a scan and find nothing.

Then I ran either AdAware and SBS&D and it found Spyware. :cool: