squeaking sound, help!!!

BRich

my pc is emitting a strange squeaking sound when it runs; like a squeak that would come from something that is spinning (imagine the erratic sound of a squeaky hamster wheel). can someone help me figure out what it is? I opened the case and it's not coming from the hard drive (thank god) but from somewhere in the back of my computer like the power supply or the cooling system. any pointers or advice is greaaaaatly appreciated. thanks!

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well since there are not that many moving parts inside a PC it should be fairly easy to find :). Sounds like it a fan that is gone bad and needs to be replaced. You say it sounds like it's coming from your power supply? I'd check that fan/fans first. BEWARE, opening your power supply can be very hazardous to your health so don't go poking stuff inside ;).

BRich

I'm guessing it's a fan too. I have a dell dimension 8100 and the stock hard drive went out on me about 2 years after I bought it and I had to get a replacement (barely w/in the warrantee), so I was extremely happy to not hear any funny business from the hard drive. plus it sounds like something slower spinning, like a fan or something. how much does a fan cost to replace?
B
p.s. thanks for your quick reply! much appreciated.

spazz31585

do you have another power supply you can swap with?
that'd be the best way to find out

also, could be the processor fan as well
or a chassis fan

if you're sure it's not the hard drive or a cd-rom or something, then a fan is about the only other thing left that would make that kind of sound

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
A basic fan should cost around $5. Canadian.

Edit:

I would stick a pencil in each fan to stop it from turning momentarily to see if the sound persist, this of course is not good for a fan so don't leave the pencil in the fan for too long :p.

Last edited:

spazz31585

BRich said:
how much does a fan cost to replace?

now that really depends on if it's the power supply fan or processor fan
processor fan i don't believe would be that much
but generally(or at least i know at dell), when we replace a processor fan, the heatsink has to go with it

if it is a power supply fan, you'd prolly be better off getting a new power supply verses tearing it appart and trying to fix it