SSD Drives, Security, & Data Wiping

Blacksheep

Hello. I’m a newcomer on these boards, but I’ve been into issues of security and privacy for a very long time. Partly this is due to protecting the confidentiality of clients I work with, as well as my own right to privacy. Plus, with me it’s like a game, a puzzle. I know that nothing is bulletproof. Given enough time and resources, almost anything can be hacked, decrypted. But it’s fun to consider the possibilities.

Here’s what’s up. SSD drives are wonderful in terms of speed, not so wonderful in terms of security. They don’t store data the same way that a traditional hard drive does, so that means the traditional security wipe programs that rely on multiple data overwrite aren’t going to be as effective.

So what if you set up a traditional hard drive as the primary. Run the OS off of that. And have two or three SSDs for games and other programs that don’t accumulate sensitive information. That way you can do your regular security sweeps on drive C and not have to worry about the rest.

Unless of course, SOMEHOW, data or information that accumulates from web surfing, downloading, cookies, word processing, and all of the other areas that security wipe programs typically look for doesn’t stay on drive C where the OS is.

What do you think?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
SSD's are really not designed for data storage. They are designed for OS install and a few of your most used programs to give you faster boot time and better access times for programs. And you really don't want to be constantly writing and deleting on an SSD drive, will result in shorter lifespan. Always put your personal data on a standard hard drive.