ssd: reserved by system

Måns Landgren

I just finished building my new computer and encountered this issue where my secondary ssd would be shown up as "reserved by system D:" instead of just "D:" like it usually does. When downloading apps from the microsoft store it wont even show up as an installation alternative which means that i can only install apps on my C-drive with far less storage... This is how it looks in file explorer: https://gyazo.com/5d14186f5db3d5d1d73f01d6eae30084
(in swedish)
and this is how it looks in the disc manager: https://gyazo.com/9f0433cc51f909d9c56c0e56e80e5a89

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That is because you had it attached when installing windows, so now your boot files are on that drive instead of your OS drive. You should only attach the drive you are installing windows to and then after installation, add other drives. You need to reinstall windows again but this time disconnect the second drive first.

Måns Landgren

That is because you had it attached when installing windows, so now your boot files are on that drive instead of your OS drive. You should only attach the drive you are installing windows to and then after installation, add other drives. You need to reinstall windows again but this time disconnect the second drive first.
Thank you very much for the solution :D!
(if possible) If I would like to keep the other files that i have downloaded to the D-drive in what order should i redo the installation. Would i be able to disconnect the "reserved by system" D-drive and then boot the computer on C and redo the installatiion or would the computer not be able to function without the D-drive?
Thanks again

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As long as you reinstall windows without the other drive attached, it will boot windows just fine. Then you'll still be able to access files on the other drive. But what I would actually do is after reinstallation, transfer those files to c drive then use disk management to delete the partition and set it back up again and then transfer the data back to D drive. I usually label a second drive as "DATA"