SSD storage concerns

Renzore101

Hello folks, I hope everyone is having a great holiday. I have an observation I guess you could say pertaining to my SSD. In my current rig I recently added a 256 GB Samsung SSD, and the thing is getting filled up quick. I am just looking for some input from others in regards to upgrade possibilities. In my mind I would eventually expand to additional SSDs but I am not sure how I would configure this. Do the hardware RAID concepts still apply to SSDs? What are my options other than, say, deleting my 50 gig game files, because I would rather not do that.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You should just install your OS and a few programs on the SSD and put everything else like music, pictures, etc. on a large capacity HDD.

To answer your other question, yes. Hardware RAID remains the same regardless of SSD or HDD.

Renzore101

I currently have my OS installed on the SSD as well as a couple games, such as Diablo 3 which is 20 GB and Battlefield 4 which is a whopping 50 GB. I just wish I would not have these storage concerns, as the situation is not much different than that which exists on the major consoles with 500 GB mechanical drives. Game files are getting so large that storage is becoming an issue. I could easily get a 2TB mechanical drive but I enjoy the performance gains that come with an SSD. I guess the only real solution is another 250 GB Samsung in the future, that will inevitably be filled up nearly entirely with another 4 next gen games. :eek:

EDIT: Mass storage is not of concern to me I guess, as I have my music, pictures, movies, ect on my secondary mechanical drive, with no issue. The concern to me is with programs that can benefit from the performance gains that the SSD provide.

Agent Smith

Yeah, these latest games are insanely massive especially with all the patches and crap. I would run Ccleaner and System Ninja once in a while to get rid of junk though, but a second SSD will more than likely be needed.

Renzore101

They most definitely are, gone are the days of the 500MB games. I will most likely go that route eventually, i just foresee storage as becoming a real problem for gaming, unless some sort of cloud based solution is implemented. I will save up for a 500GB ssd most likely, eventually. I run Ccleaner, and I am not familiar with system ninja. How often do you suggest running the trim function on the ssd?