Static/grounding? problem with new case

munch9000

Hello all. I recently bought this case on ebay for a new computer I built.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6726336905&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

My problem is that my house, for some reason, always has very dry air and a lot of static. I often am shocked when I touch a lightswitch, etc.

With this new case, on numerous occassions, I have walked towards my computer and it reboots from the static on the carpet. Or I'll touch my chair, get a little shock, and the computer will reboot. It never reboots or freezes when I am just sitting there. Just when I have left the room and there is static from my feet walking back toward it.

Also, on a few occassions I have gone to plug in my USB gamepad, and if the end of the USB plug "misses" at all and touches the case, the computer will again reboot.

This has never happened before with any desktops I have owned, despite the dry air in my house. Is there any way I can ground the case better so it will not be as affected? Any suggestions besides buying a humidifier? It should not be so sensitive.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hmmm..

it sounds like your house is posessed! Nah just joking, but you should look into why there is so much static everywhere. It has to be prety strong if it causes restarts! I hope someone else, more aware of how static electricity works, will give you a solution.

JAN :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes this is definitly something you can/should bring up with the power company (as well as increasing the humidity in the house)