WIndows 10 Stop auto Windows 10 upgrade

ssal

I have a 5 year old Asus laptop. Once of those with 11.6 inch monitor. It is very small and the battery lasts a long time.

I don't use it for anything serious. Primarily I watch video on the plane with it, occasion google search and use it to transfer photos from my camera (memory card) to an external harddrive when I am on a photo trip.

It has 2gb ram and 32gb emmc. I had a hell of a time to upgrade to Windows 10 from 8. Once I was in 10, it had some problems updating initially (not enough space). But then it went away and the update doesn't seem to report any problem. The last update took a long time and then when it's done, it reported that "scanning drive C for repair". It seems to work fine now except every program I launched took a while to load initially. It looked look it has to be initiated.

I am not comfortable having Windows automatically updating this little toy. Should I turn off the updating to let it run its course till it dies. I am not concerned with security that much. There is no hardware upgrade for this, the last time I checked.

Appreciate your opinion and suggestion.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Those laptops with EMMC storage suck. They are a pain in the ass to upgrade windows 10. I've had to wipe one totally and then install a fresh updated copy. Its just not worth it. You barely have room for the OS with no room for file storage. Definitely stop upgrading.

Darren

Staff member
Those laptops with EMMC storage suck. They are a pain in the ass to upgrade windows 10. I've had to wipe one totally and then install a fresh updated copy. Its just not worth it. You barely have room for the OS with no room for file storage. Definitely stop upgrading.
Always was fun telling customers that Microsoft functionally bricked their 32GB Netbook with Windows 10...