Strange boot issues involving bios and ssd

Exfinite

Computer needs some "finesse" to get booted.

My boot device (Windows 10 OS is a 250 GB Samsung SSD and I store my files on a 1 TB Western Digital (Blue) hard drive. My BIOS is UEFI, a very new version.

First, I have to press the power button. It proceeds with the white underscore flashing in the top left hand corner of the screen. This continues forever until I press the power button again. I restart the computer and it goes to BIOS. This is where it gets interesting. Every single time I try to set the boot device as my SSD, the entire computer freezes and I'm forced to restart and repeat the process. Now that I'm in the BIOS, I click Boot Menu, which allows me to manually boot the computer from my SSD. I proceed and it goes to the white underscore flash in the top left. Then, after a few seconds, it goes back to BIOS. I repeat. I manually select my SSD. Then, I'm brought to a screen that tells me to install a boot device. I press enter and I'm brought back to BIOS. I do the same thing again. I manually select my SSD to boot from. Then, after the third attempt, it finally boots.

What's going on here?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you have the WD drive attached when you installed windows? Try disconnecting it to see if computer reacts correctly. If it does, then you know the drive is failing.

Exfinite

Did you have the WD drive attached when you installed windows? Try disconnecting it to see if computer reacts correctly. If it does, then you know the drive is failing.

The WD drive was not attached when Windows was installed, at least I don't believe so. I had it built custom for me. I did have to connect it when I received it because they forgot to when they were building it. What difference would that make?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the WD drive was attached when installing windows to the SSD then its possible the boot files were placed on the WD drive and if the drive is failing then the system won't boot. Its also possible that the drive may still be bad as pc's will act weird with failing. Disconnect the drive and see what happens.

Exfinite

If the WD drive was attached when installing windows to the SSD then its possible the boot files were placed on the WD drive and if the drive is failing then the system won't boot. Its also possible that the drive may still be bad as pc's will act weird with failing. Disconnect the drive and see what happens.

I had the same issue before I even hooked up the HDD. I doubt they even hooked it up in the first place. I will, however, disconnect it and give it a go to see what happens. Then I'll get back to you.

Exfinite

Okay. I just finished with my "procedure". The computer boots perfectly, within seconds. Doesn't jump to BIOS and doesn't require any special treatment to get started. What does this mean? Should I back up my HDD and replace it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it means the hdd is failing or has failed already. You may or may not be able to retrieve the data off it.

Exfinite

Yes it means the hdd is failing or has failed already. You may or may not be able to retrieve the data off it.

I've already backed up all my information. It should all be good now. I guess I better be on the lookout for a new HDD. Thank you for your help :)