Strange networking problems

Dimitri

I have two computers connected through a router, one via cable and running XP, the other via wireless running win 7. This network was set up a while back and then not used for a long time, but at one point it was working, now there seem to be some sort of problems.

I tried using it and it wasn't working, then I started fiddling with some settings and on the win 7 computer I realized workgroup name was wrong so I typed in the correct one. After a restart which win asked for I was able to see the other computer in the network window, then I clicked on that computer, was able to access all the drives, and then I went back to the network screen and the computer was gone and I couldn't get it back with refresh.
The strange thing is that on the left hand menu (where you have sort of quick links like my computer etc.) the computer was still listed under network, and using that menu I could still access all the drives for a while until it disappeared.

Now, if I change the work group and then change it back to what it should be again the same exact thing happens. I can see the other computer for a while and then it goes away.

On the XP computer I can't see the win 7 computer's drives in my network places, but if I go to entire network->microsoft windows network I can see the network (homegroup) and when I click on it I can see the win 7 computer, but when I try to access it I get a menu which asks me to type in a user name and passowrd (I can't remember setting one, or where to remove it, and don't know what it is), and then after a while I can't even get that menu, I get some generic "maybe you don't have permission" message.

When I run homegroup troubleshooting wizard on the win 7 computer it reports 3 problems:

1. homegroup permissions are incorrect

I don't quite know what this refers to. The drive sharing I think is fine, I have given full permission to everyone for the one partition that is on the computer.

2. peer networking grouping service not running

It tries to start this service but it can't

3. peer name resolution protocol (also a service) is not working

I tried to start this one manually by running services.msc and finding it on the list, but I get error code 0x80630203, I googled it but can't find an explanation to what it is.

Can anyone help?