Streaming Devices

grampi

I have an old Apple TV, that I think needs to be replaced. The only other two I know of is the Fire Stick and the Roku. Both have the voice control, and both connect via WIFI (my ATV connects using ethernet). I do have a question, and the answer might have a bearing on which one I choose. Can you FF and RV through recordings using the FS or the Roku, or both, or neither? Are there any other reasons to choose one over the other?

beers

Staff member
Some of the Roku units like the ultra have a wired ethernet port.

Otherwise it really just depends which ecosystem you want, personally some of the fire sticks have been underpowered and Roku is largely more well supported.

grampi

Some of the Roku units like the ultra have a wired ethernet port.

Otherwise it really just depends which ecosystem you want, personally some of the fire sticks have been underpowered and Roku is largely more well supported.
If I use one that connects via WIFI, I can remove the ethernet connection from my ATV and plug it into my Dish receiver...this would bring back my Youtube channel on Dish...

beers

Staff member
Sure bro. You could also use an ethernet switch if you wanted to connect both at the same time. They're plug and play with no configuration required.

grampi

Still not getting any input on Roku vs Fire Stick....I thought this thread would be full of input on that subject by now...where is everybody?

beers

Staff member
Having owned both, I gave you input on the subject, and additional info to make your life easier.

Godspeed. ✌️

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Beers answered the question you asked. Both devices do the exact same thing. If you have other Amazon devices, get a Fire Stick to keep things simple. If not, get whatever.