Stupid question (i think)

Bobo

banned
If you have 4 ethernet cards, can you hook all of them into your computer and use it like a router?

You could try, but I don't think it's going to work. A computer has not a fonction of a router, but you will be able to acess someone's hard drive by network

red onion

You can use a cptr as a firewall, so I think you could use it as a router...interesting idea. You would have to play a bit with the ICS settings, but you could probaby do it.

Bobo

banned
PC Technology INC. said:
You could try, but I don't think it's going to work. A computer has not a fonction of a router, but you will be able to acess someone's hard drive by network

Does that mean I would be able to see all the other computers, but they won't necessarily be able to see themselves?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Theoretically it can be done, but you'll need some software to route the connections.

Bobo

banned
Lorand said:
Theoretically it can be done, but you'll need some software to route the connections.

I don't necessarily plan on doing it, I was just curious, b/c routers get on my nerves a lot

S_Doherty

if you have the slots for it, then YES, you can do this....What you would do would be connect PC1 to your ISP modem, connect PC2 to NIC2 from PC1, connect PC3 to NIC3 from PC1, connect PC4 to NIC4 from PC1....you would have to enable routing in the registry...Start>Run>regedit. Then, your default gateway for PC2, 3 & 4 becomes PC1. There is a little more to this but if you are going to try it let us know and we will help you through it

Bobo

banned
I think I mostly understand, if I ever need to do so, I will let you know. But the chances of that are pretty slim, I was just trying to learn new things...:)