Suggest a Computer for Programming

Chortle

Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a desktop computer this Christmas, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on what's best to fit my needs.

1) Currently, and will be working on Java, C++, PHP, website-building, and object-oriented programming in the future. Keeping in mind that it's gonna be in 2-5 years.
2) I'm a casual gamer who plays MapleStory and Dragon Nest, which graphic card is best for these games?
3) I would like to do 2D animations and video-editing smoothly.
4) I surf the net and watch videos regularly.
5) My budget is $450, more or less.
6) I prefer AMD over Intel because it's cheaper.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I would suggest you get an A8 (quad-core) or A6 (triple-core) Fusion CPU (or APU as AMD like to call them). Those come with very capable integrated graphics (Radeon) that can easily handle both of those games, and are of pretty good value overall. The new FX-series CPUs aren't all that great for the price (they're not bad but you can get better for the money) and the older Phenom II/Athlon II CPUs have already started going up at some retailers since AMD is stopping production of them, so I'm not sure if they are a very good option either.

How heavy video editing do you do though? For light editing, a quad- or even triple- core Fusion will do pretty good, but for heavy/professional editing you'll want more juice and ATM you can probably get more for your money if you go Intel for lots of raw CPU power.