Suggestions Needed

DntMssWthTx

Thanks Strange, it comes out to $738.93 no tax, $799.89 with (8.25%.)

I guess I could save up another $45, how big of a performance increase would I see if I were to upgrade to DDR3?

dubesinhower, is the PSU overkill then?

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Later on you will be glad you got a big P/S, even more so if you decide to go Crossfire later. I would rather run through a wall then bounce off it. There is not a huge increase between DDR2/3. But if your doing a new build now, I would go with DDR3.

Now that doesnt include the OS. I would get Vista 64 Premium.

And the Phenom II 720BE is a good overclocker. Got one running at 3.7ghz. Could go futher but my board is holding me back.

Did forget one thing.
IDE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136144

Sata
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136152

Last edited:

dubesinhower

well heres the deal. if you go with ddr3 you need a different mobo. the psu isnt technically "overkill", but you can save some money by getting just a 500 or 600 watt one for this build.

if your pushing to overclock your pc, you should get an aftermarket cpu fan for it.

DntMssWthTx

Oh ok, yeah I didn't want to cheap out on a certain part just to have to upgrade it in months. DDR3 it is :D, I will look into getting Vista and Ubuntu.

How important is overclocking?

StrangleHold

Staff member
How important is overclocking?

Well its not really important, depends on how you look at it I guess. That one is stock at 2.8ghz. and can overclock easy to 3.5ghz. Increase in performance by quite a bit. Has a unlocked X, makes overclocking easier.

dubesinhower

oh okay i thought you put ddr2 memory. yea this looks like a solid build. although my input still stands. swap the psu for a 500-600 watt one, and use thhe extra money for either more harddrive space or a cpu fan.

StrangleHold

Staff member
oh okay i thought you put ddr2 memory. yea this looks like a solid build. although my input still stands. swap the psu for a 500-600 watt one, and use thhe extra money for either more harddrive space or a cpu fan.

:D:D

Thing is I would not get a 500W and a quality 600W P/S price point sucks compaired to a 750W. Like a Corsiar/PC Power&Cooling/Antec or Silverstone 600W is just like 10 bucks cheaper than the 750W.

DntMssWthTx

Well its not really important, depends on how you look at it I guess. That one is stock at 2.8ghz. and can overclock easy to 3.5ghz. Increase in performance by quite a bit. Has a unlocked X, makes overclocking easier.

Okay, I'll look into overclocking for sure.

Since it's likely I won't have to pay taxes, I could just use the extra $50 (around $750 without taxes) and upgrade the hard drive. I have a 160/180GB hard drive on my PC now, plenty of music, videos, and other stuff that takes a lot of memory, but still have around 80GBs free so hard drive size probably won't be an issue.

Thanks for all the help guys :cool: I'm saving the parts list for future reference and will probably start buying everything around September '09.

JTM

Okay, I'll look into overclocking for sure.

Since it's likely I won't have to pay taxes, I could just use the extra $50 (around $750 without taxes) and upgrade the hard drive. I have a 160/180GB hard drive on my PC now, plenty of music, videos, and other stuff that takes a lot of memory, but still have around 80GBs free so hard drive size probably won't be an issue.

Thanks for all the help guys :cool: I'm saving the parts list for future reference and will probably start buying everything around September '09.

September? by then you'll be able to get even more for your money. Meaning that the $800 price tag will go lower, but better stuff will be available. Either way, good luck.

DntMssWthTx

I hadn't thought about that, but y'all are right. The reason why I'm waiting so long is because I'll be starting college in August so I'll be working the whole summer to help pay for it as well as my new build. Hopefully by then I won't be as ig'nant and will be able to pick some parts myself, but I will surely consider CF.com for help.