Suggestions

T0t

Hey guys, I'm new here. I recently got interested in computers and hope my stay here will be fun. I was wondering if you guys could help me out though. I'm going to reformat my computer pretty soon, and I need some suggestions. I'm going to save all the important programs(Virus Protection, spyware protection, etc.) onto a cd-rw. What I need help on is choosing the correct programs/applications. So far I have: AVG Antivirus, Spy-Sweeper, Ad-Aware, and FireFox. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on other Protection programs I could add. I heard SpyBot S&D was good, I've also heard good things about Anti-Vir. I dont think you can have 2 virus protection programs installed at the same time so I think I can count Anti-vir out. That leaves a choice on wether or not to include SpyBot S&D though...any suggestions? I'm also in need of a firewall, preferably a newb friendly one. Thanks everybody, I really appreciate all future help.

ZER0X

VIP Member
ZoneAlarm - Firewall (Newb Friendly one :p)
Tiny Personal Firewall - Firewall(Not so Newb Friendly)

The Programs you have said are nice appz they are quite good for battling spyware and viruses ETC

Sebouh

Get the adware SE personal for spy/adwares, its much better, it worked better for me then anyother prog.

T0t

Ah, I see. Yeah, thats the one I'm getting AdAware SE. I think I'm going to get SpyBot as well. I'll also be getting ZoneAlarm. Thanks guys, any other suggestions are welcomed as well.

calvinius

I got Zone Alarm Pro running on mine, its idiot proof and it needs to be for me. I recommend it highly for computer novices. It just does it's thing and gives me no hassle whatsoever

T0t

Pro? Ahh, I'm looking for a free one ='(. I hope the free version of Zonealarm still works really well and is still reccomended.

Bobo

banned
Download Kerio Personal Firewall, location??? Google for it

Great, and free.

You will get a lot of popups asking you if you want to let the comp do whatever, but it learns by what you click. And it never lets anything get past.

T0t

Is it user friendly? Better than ZoneAlarm(Free Edition) Protection wise? I dont mind looking for the apps on google. ;D

Bobo

banned
T0t said:
Is it user friendly? Better than ZoneAlarm(Free Edition) Protection wise? I dont mind looking for the apps on google. ;D

What is your def of "user friendly"?? It is easy, if that is what you mean

Protectionwise it is great, stops anything to/from anything network or internet related, and lets you decide whether you want to block it or not. You can make a rule to let it through or block it all the time, and it learns.

T0t

Yeah user friendly as in No0b friendly. Easy to use for some one with little or no experience with fire walls. So I guess its between Kerio and ZoneAlarm then? Alot of people seem to like ZoneAlarm which is why I'm in a dillema on which one to get. ='( Help...?

Last edited:

ecomp401

you might want to also try getting a internet cleenup program. Try window washer (you have to pay for it unless your a hacker), as far as virus protection goes, my friend uses bit deffender (not free) for virus. If your a noob then i woundn't go with free stuff as the undates tend to not be so great, it is worth it to buy the aps such as Norton Internet Security, Bit Deffender, Zone Alarm, and so on (not Ad-Aware, the free version is fine) because they tend to have alot of disabled fetures... also you should try using IE 6.0 with Google Toolbar before you reformat, it can be better than firefox in many aspecs...

T0t

Hmm, I see. As far as Virus protection I hear AVG(one I currently have) is good. Of course I've been hearing good stuff about Anti-Vir. Dont know which one to keep @_@. I love FireFox but I may consider your IE suggestion. As far as buying goes..well I first want to try out/get used to the firewall. But again, I fall under the same dillema. Which one to get? It seems that ZoneAlarm(free) and Kerio(free) are the preferred choices both No0b friendly wise and protection wise. Of course I dont know all that much about firewalls which is why I rely on your guys help/support. I really hope I can get some suggestions/answers on which one to get. I'm fairly unexpirienced and the thought of me picking a firewall by myself just means disaster.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Tiny Personal Firewall - Firewall(Not so Newb Friendly)
I will definite reccomend you avoid this damn cursed firewall. Not only is it not user friendly, its a just plain dumb and unintuitive. SOmething like Kerio or Sygate make for a much better firewall (also avoid the cursed BlackICE stuff)

For you...Zone Alarm
For anyone man, Tiny is poo :p

So I guess its between Kerio and ZoneAlarm then? Alot of people seem to like ZoneAlarm which is why I'm in a dillema on which one to get. ='( Help...?
Kerio is an awesome firewall both their Personal and WinRoute but they are also a serious pain in the arse to manage because (depending on how you set it up), you have to validate eeeeeeeeeeeeeverything (and i do damn well mean everything)

A balanced firewall would be Agnitum's Outpost ... better than ZA ... without being overly complicated :) ... i used it before i switched to Kerio but its a nice firewall and they've got a free version too :)

T0t

Agnitums Outpost? Hmmm never heard of that one. It seems that Kerio involves abit more messing with so I think we can rule that one out. Maybe when I get abit more experienced with firewalls I'll try it out. So now its between ZoneAlarm and Agnitum's Outpost(both of the firewalls are going to be the free version)? God...I hate decisions like these. I'm such a no0b ='(. I hate to bother you guys so much but I would like some advice. Kee

Bobo

banned
T0t said:
Hmm, I see. As far as Virus protection I hear AVG(one I currently have) is good. Of course I've been hearing good stuff about Anti-Vir. Dont know which one to keep @_@. I love FireFox but I may consider your IE suggestion. As far as buying goes..well I first want to try out/get used to the firewall. But again, I fall under the same dillema. Which one to get? It seems that ZoneAlarm(free) and Kerio(free) are the preferred choices both No0b friendly wise and protection wise. Of course I dont know all that much about firewalls which is why I rely on your guys help/support. I really hope I can get some suggestions/answers on which one to get. I'm fairly unexpirienced and the thought of me picking a firewall by myself just means disaster.

Yes AVG is great. I have Norton 05, but prefer AVG.

Yes, Kerio makes you validate everything, but you can make it a rule for it to always stop or always let it through. The first week or 2, that is all the annoyance time. But it is definitely worth it. (IMO)