Support Timeline for 4g Phones

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I believe most are in the process of shutting down 3g currently. I think its gonna be a long time before 4g gets shut down due to old people don't want the new 5g phones, since they don't know how to operate them.

I believe most are in the process of shutting down 3g currently. I think its gonna be a long time before 4g gets shut down due to old people don't want the new 5g phones, since they don't know how to operate them.
From what information I have gathered, you are right it does seem that all the major carriers will cut their ties with 3g. I don’t think using a phone connected to 5g would be any harder than using a phone connected to 4g. But anyway what I want is a date on the sunset of 4g and I haven’t found any solid information on that.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You probably won't. 3g was released in 2001, 20 years later they are shutting it down. 4g was released in 2009 so estimate 20 years later 2029 or so. Shutting down 3g just became a thing a couple years ago I think so you won't find a date of shutting down 4g yet. I would say at least another 9 or 10 years before it happens. Why be worried anyway? By then we will have 6g or 7g or some new technology available.