surround sound

coombesy

i am thinking of getting surrond sound for my windows xp to enhance gaming and films it has a 5.1 sound card but is the standard hp pavilion one will surround sound just fit or do i need a better sound card
thanks in advance :)

edited because of spelling mistake

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Generally speaking any surround capable card/device should be sufficient although i'd personally reccomend the Soundblaster Audigy series of products ... fairly easy to setup and a bunch of features etc for an affordable price :)

coombesy

erm sorry im not sure what motherboard i have as im not too smart on computers its a hp pavilion 7955 and has the standard motherboard if thats any use now by sound do you mean sound card because i have the standard hp 5.1 that came in my pc and speakers i have some polk audio cheap speakers and the small one on my 17" lcd monitor sorry i can not be of more use thank you very much

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
how many sound ports are on the motherboard ie does it have front, rear and centre/bass or does it just have the one port

coombesy

elmarcorulz said:
how many sound ports are on the motherboard ie does it have front, rear and centre/bass or does it just have the one port

the ports i run speakers on are a speaker port which is orange and a green out port this is all i know thank you very much though

coombesy

praetor thanks for looking that up and the suggetion but thats a bit out of my bubget as i have just bought a flatscree dvd rewriter and graphics card do you think my current sound card would run surround sound thank you very much

LittleHoov

ive personally had good luck with this little gem http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=29-117-105&DEPA=0

i had my Dell onboard sound and desktop speakers though, so obviously i was blown away when i got that sound card and a set of Logitech Z-640s... but you can get a 5.1 card fore even cheaper than that...you can also get a 7.1 card for a little more if you want to plan for the future..
also i believe that using onboard sound (its where the sound card is sort of embedded in the motherboard and not in a PCI slot) takes up more system resources than using a PCI card..so if you're looking to eek out a bit more performance, thats the way to go.

also as for your card running surround sound i would say it would, even if it only has 3 plugs i think it still can, supposedly you can change what the plug is somehow? a friend of mine did it once, he had 6-channel onboard and it just had the 3 plugs(line in, out, and mic) and he changed the line out and mic to center and rear...but i dont know how.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
praetor thanks for looking that up and the suggetion but thats a bit out of my bubget as i have just bought a flatscree dvd rewriter and graphics card do you think my current sound card would run surround sound thank you very much
What is the budget? :)

coombesy

:D erm the budget is small as possible im not sure how much bout £10ish :D i know thats not much but some people told me you can get a quite basic one for that much

coombesy

SUNSWAY /ST Lab PCI Sound Card 4-channel (C-Media 8738 chip)
is this any good for the money and will it run surrond sound thank you for all your help all of you

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
my 5.1 sourround sound has 3 2rca to 3.5mm jack, which i plug into 3 ports on my sound card. however, on the subwoofer is a switch to change from 5.1 to 2.1 so on my old sound card i only had a line in line out and mic ports so i could only use one, so i had to change it from 5.1 to 2.1 and it worked fine out of all 6 speakers