Matt-man

I am currently thinking of upgrading my PC, current spec is :

AMD 2400+ Processor
MSI motherboard
512mb DDR ram
ATI Radeon 9000 128mb Graphics Card
Seagate 120gb HD
Creative Labs 5.1 sound card

I use the PC for mainly for gaming and also create a lot of DVD's and CD's so need something that could possibly speed encoding up.

Any suggestions on best parts to upgrade and recommended upgrades would be appreciated.

Matt-man

Well am looking at doing it bit by bit i would say around £300, I wasn't sure which areas to upgrade first, to get the most benefits.

Matt-man

Apologies I have a LITEON 8X Dual layer DVD-r/+r Burner.

Will i see much improvement from just upgrading the Ram or would it be better to go for a AMD 64 processor and compatible MOBO and then upgrading Ram/Graphics card later!?

Pyotr

Radeon 9800 Pro are pretty decent, in my opinion.
I use 786 mb ram with a 2600+, and Far Cry runs very smooth.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Radeon 9800 Pro

I dont know about this moment but last I checked they where asking so much for that card it was a rip off and insult as the x800pro could be gotten for that price.

Pyotr

Blue said:
I dont know about this moment but last I checked they where asking so much for that card it was a rip off and insult as the x800pro could be gotten for that price.
Fair enough. I got it pretty cheap, but I'm not in the states. ;)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Fair enough. I got it pretty cheap, but I'm not in the states.

I'm not in the states either and yet I've seen it in a store or 2 in London Ontario for way too much cash :)... Although if it can be picked up for a reasonable price then It's still a great card and runs most games very good.

dave597

VIP Member
9800 pros are around £110 from ebay, micromart etc. upgrading your ram is pointless. i would upgrade your cpu, and if needed your motherboard as well. then the rest of the cash on a big hard drive say at least 200 gig, not on a small fast one like raptor.