TDK DVD name confusion

Dart77

Hello, I went into the store to buy some blank DVDr -I usually buy TDK as they are often on sale. I usually get TDK DVD-R (gold) 4.3Gb but this time they had next to them, DVD+R. Same colour, same storage capacity, same price but different part number and jacket colouring. I scoured the outside spindle on both for a description that might give me some clue as to the difference between them but none. So I bought the +R and am burning some now with no difference that I can see

Anybody know the difference? And why don't TDK put something on the outside so people can read what the difference is? They look identical outside when placed next to each other. There must be some difference.

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can basically use either one but the -r is more compatible to the older type burners and dvd players.

Dart77

Thanks -but do you know the actual difference in the physical qualities of the discs? They must use a different material for each maybe?

The VCR King

Nero DiscSpeed. I tried 50 different brands of CDS and all had the same manufacturer. Almost any CD you buy will be the same, CMC Magnetics.

Dart77

Thanks -but do you know the actual difference in the physical qualities of the discs? They must use a different material for each maybe?

I just went to the TDK website and found the exact answer I was looking for - they explain the difference between - and +, so obviously many people must have been asking them.