Temps

themikeman

Is it okay for me to be running my Pentium 4 3.0Ghz (not overclocked) at 60 celcius when running a game such as far cry? I have heard that a p4 will never actually burn up, just run slower as it gets hotter, but I want to know if this is bad to do or if it is okay.....Help?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard that a p4 will never actually burn up, just run slower as it gets hotter
There is a limit to that but yes that is essentially true.

but I want to know if this is bad to do or if it is okay.....Help?
The temp is higher than I would expect but certainly not dangerous. If it goes over 69.9°C then it's time to look into a new cooler

themikeman

now see, i am a little confused right now b/c ive asked several ppl on diff forums and ive gotten a few different answers. It's your opinion that 60 is alright for now, however somebody on a different forums said
54c is rather high for any cpu, not dangerously high but definately sucking at your cpus lifetime
. I am not trying to say that anybody is wrong but im not sure wat to think anymore. Is 60 C really okay? Or am I going to lose significant life and performance on my proc?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I am not trying to say that anybody is wrong but im not sure wat to think anymore. Is 60 C really okay? Or am I going to lose significant life and performance on my proc?
Both people are right.

Your chip can handle temps up to the ballpark of 85º however by no means should you allow it to hit those themperatures. A lot of people will get ultra paranoid about temperatures and tell you that 60º is dangerously high etc ... it's higher than ideal but not dangerously high. As for "sucking the life out of the cpu" ... that's paranoia. Of course, you should aim to have as low a temp as possible but there isnt a need to panic at the 60º mark ... just keep and eye on it.