shutdown temp: 70 degC
cpu temp: 49 degC
system temp: 27 deg

cpu fan: 4551

Vcore 1.78V
3.3V = 3.38
5V = 4.85
12v = 12.54

This suggests to me that system is not over-heating. I had all windows open & room was freezing, which meant the computer took about 3 times as long to crash but still did so.

does anyone know if the displayed voltages are aything to be worried about? Also I've noticed that both dvd and cdRW 'read' lights are on when it crashes, but neither illuminated during normal use.

any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Have you tried reinstalling windows? I know it sounds more like a hardware failure but beings as your having such a hard time figureing this one out you may as well try it.

I know what youre saying my friend..

I'm running win 2k pro, how simple is it to reinstall? I've got my Hd partitioned into C: (win & few games), D: (applications n docs) E: swap drive

Would I need to format c: then install from scratch or is there a way to do it easy..

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
In a case like this I think it's prob. better to reformat C: then reformat all other partitions to clean them of what may be virus's and such.

It does sound more like a hardware failure of some sort so Reinstalling windows may be a waste of time but if you've exhausted everything else and are desperate :). reinstalling windows and cleaning up the entire HD Is just something I'd personaly try myself.

Bonjour,
I managed to run the new champ manager last night for about 2 1/2 hours b4 crashing.

I've taken both sides off the pc case and moved the system near the open window (and it was about minus 5 outside) so it has to be an overheating problem. Seems I can fix it by playing in subzero temp.. great.

As this is not the only environment a PC is designed to operate in I'm thinking that my gf4 may have some issues. I've got an old gateway2000 PIII 450mhz i bout from old workplace & I think it has ATI card in it, could I do a straight swap (if i can download ati driver) or are there amd / intel graphics card diffs?

cheers blue n co for the guidance!

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
hehe I think I mentioned that one b4 :).

anyhow it's a strange problem you have there but i'd think that it's got somthing to do with overheating but the question is what. You did mention that with the room temperature lower then there's less chance of it happening right?

Try removing the side from the PC and put a rather large room fan blowing into the case (assuming you have one) If it does not happen then your next step is to figure out what is overheating.

you can swap the cards providing of course it'll work with your particuler setup. although the overheating could be a number of things and not necessarily your videocard.

amd / intel graphics card diffs?

None whatsoever. it's the motherboard that you have to worry about when choosen a videocard such as slot type and voltage and such.

Last edited: