The question you've all probably heard millions of times..

cottoncandysky

What is the cheapest desktop I can buy for under $800, better yet, under $600. I realize it would be WAY better to build my own, but I need a computer ASAP for school.

I'm pursuing a computer science degree, and I would love nothing more than to fiddle and play until I had built my own computer, BUT I have 2 papers to write and my laptop is about to flop.

I wont be using it for gaming. I'll need it for online (DSL or regular dial-up...browsing the web, having fun), for school (Powerpoint, Word, Publisher, Excel). I always have several web browsers open at the same time.
The laptop I have now I got off of Ebay. Its a refurbished Dell, P3- in system info it says 498mhz. I don't want to get a new computer and have it be slower than the old one, cuz that would suck.

Okay, this is getting lengthy. Thanks for the help! I wish I would have started fiddling with computers sooner, maybe then I would know how to build my own by now!!

4W4K3

VIP Member

guitarian

try browsing through ebay.com, i gurantee you'll find what you need in about 10 minutes. just keep an eye out for the shipping costs. they even sell kits (you'll assemble the pc but they'll send you all the parts so you won't have to go and individually piece together a system).

as far as the monitor goes, you should try looking through the classified ads in your local paper. shipping cost make monitors a bit less economic for online buying. you can usually get a 17" used monitor for under $60.