The Urban Exploration Thread

spirit

Staff member
Thread bump. Got bored on Photoshop and decided to edit some of the photos I took whilst exploring that asylum back in June. These are much better than the original ones (see the first post in this thread).

tumblr_manom9iW611rr8jsmo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_manom9iW611rr8jsmo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_manom9iW611rr8jsmo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_manpbvOGz01rr8jsmo1_1280.jpg

Wanted to make it scary and a bit dingy.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Thread bump!

Stumbled across an interesting place in the middle of Norwich today: Earlham Crematorium Gardens (part of a larger group of cemeteries in Norwich collectively known as 'The Norwich Cemetery'). Yes, it is still a working and open cemetery , but part of it is abandoned and extremely overgrown. A kind of sad place to be honest, but very peaceful. I think it’s fair to say the abandoned parts have been left to Mother Nature. Some of it is very posh and well-kept though.

It was kind of sad walking around here. So many graves, most of them completely forgotten about. A lot of people called Eliza buried here and mostly from the Victorian era.

When you see how young some of these poor souls died, it makes you feel lucky that we’re not living back when they did.

Some photos are below (rest are on my Flickr, link at the bottom of the post).

In other news, the abandoned mental asylum (also in Norwich), which I posted photos of above is being demolished as we speak. Apparently the land had been up for sale since January 2011 and in April 2012 it was purchased by a group of developers who proposed to demolish the abandoned asylum and turn it into a business park. Asbestos removal teams and security has been up there since August last year slowly demolishing the site. Since the tower is listed however, that cannot be demolished, but the rest is being demolished. Some demolition photos can be found here (scroll down to the February 2013 demolition photos). Quite sad really, I won't be able to explore that place again. Shame because I wanted to go back with my D-SLR at some point. :(

Earlham Crematorium Gardens, Norwich - Explore (May 18th 2013) by JasonBrown2013, on Flickr

Earlham Crematorium Gardens, Norwich - Explore (May 18th 2013) by JasonBrown2013, on Flickr

View the rest here!

Last edited:

Perkomate

Charity bump.

I'm looking at getting into exploring and stuff more.

I've heard of some cool places here in Sydney and want to get inside of them.

I did go and check out an abandoned house a few streets away from me that was kind of cool. Absolutely terrible photos though.

g3n8.jpg

d9vc.jpg

They're the only two I want to share.

EvanK

Just stumbled across this thread today, there are some great shots on here! I love that second one from Jason's cemetery set.

My shots are cheating a bit, the first one is actually just a tunnel at Cape Spear, a very touristy seaside destination. It has a bit of a spooky vibe to it, though.

9327543315_2fc7c20e62_z.jpg

The second shot involved a bit more of exploring, it's an alleyway in downtown St. John's a bit off the beaten path. More to come from this album in a future post.

9330344182_499f7e010b_z.jpg

G80FTW

Some buildings around my hometown:

This was a gas station owned and operated by a close friend of the family.

This was another gas station built in the 1940s and only lasted until 1970 when they built the interstate the locale of this place moved a couple miles down the road right off the interstate. Its called BETO Junction.

Some old one room school house along highway 31, the roof has obviously been redone so I assume it is being used as storage by whoever owns it now:

And this, is the urban explorers wet dream.... This building I have been inside before back in 2004, however I lost all the pictures I took and have not managed to get back inside since due to it being right off the main highway and police do watch the area for trespassers. There is ways onto the site though, that require miles of walking through forests and fields, which is how I got this shot. After the wildlife I encountered on my last trip, I decided its better not to take this venture alone.

This was the Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant. Nearly 15 square miles of over 1,000 abandoned buildings and over 140 miles of roads. The site is nothing short of the biggest abandonment in America, being the size of a small city. From 1942-1998 the site was owned by the department of defense and operated by Hercules Aerospace to manufacture and TEST ammunition for the military including bombs. It was the largest ammunition plant in America and the first to produce many types of ammunition.

In 1998 it was shut down for good and pending to being put an EPA cleanup list that never happened and was deemed military excess and in 2006 the land was handed over to a private developer for cleanup whom was given $109 million to do so. Within a year, the developer only managed to demolish less than half the buildings (originally over 2,200 buildings) and in 2008 the money ran dry and so it sits. There is no actual security on grounds anymore, but there is still small activity from the developer within the main north entrance buildings. The rest of the 10,000 acres has been leased out as farmland for pastures. But nature has certainly reclaimed the area in a hurry. Here are a few pictures (most taken with my cell phone) that show just how much of the outer roads are left:

G80FTW

Found out that the hiking trail I was on yesterday resides right next to the plant. Granted, without GPS finding my direction there might be hard as its all woods. May need to invest in a compass....