Thermal Compound Question 2????

joelkyr

I am checking some of the thermal compound in the market, and I am confuse with the different variety that is offered,

ARCTIC SILVER CERAMICS
ARCTIC SILVER 5
ARCTIC SILVER ADHESIVE

SO WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET. THANKS :)

ScOuT

VIP Member
Artic Silver Ceramique does not contain any metal elements. It is made of 3 main compounds ( aluminum oxide, boron nitride and zinc oxide ) Although the names of these elements sound like they contain metal...they do not. It is great TIM (Thermal Interface Material) for processors, graphics cards and chipset cooling.

Arctic Silver 5 contains zinc oxide, aluminum oxide and boron nitride just like the Ceramique...but it also contains pure silver. It does not however contain silicone. It can be slightly conductive for electricity so it is great for processors. Normally most people would not recommend this for chipsets of graphics cards.

Arctic Aluimna is a ceramic-based polysynthetic TIM. Despite it's name...it does not contain any metal elements. It uses ceramic and oils for heat transfer. It is alos considered an electrical insulator and is great for chipsets and graphics cards. It can also be used on processors but might not perfrom as well as other Arctic Silver products for CPU cooling.

Arctic Silver adhesives are just what the name refers to...adhesives. The are mainly used for chipset and other heatsinks that do not have retention bindings of some sort. It comes in 2 different types, Arctic Silver adhesive and Arctic Aluimna adhesive. Despite the names...they are a little different with their element content. Arctic Silver adhesive contains silver and is slightly electricly conductive. Arctic Aluimna adhesive uses ceramic for heat transfer and is considered an electrical insulator.

You can read about these compounds here:)
http://www.arcticsilver.com/products.htm

You can read about 33 different TIMs put to the test here:)
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=138&Itemid=62

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Artic Silver Ceramique does not contain any metal elements. It is made of 3 main compounds ( aluminum oxide, boron nitride and zinc oxide ) Although the names of these elements sound like they contain metal...they do not. It is great TIM (Thermal Interface Material) for processors, graphics cards and chipset cooling.

Arctic Silver 5 contains zinc oxide, aluminum oxide and boron nitride just like the Ceramique...but it also contains pure silver. It does not however contain silicone. It can be slightly conductive for electricity so it is great for processors. Normally most people would not recommend this for chipsets of graphics cards.

Arctic Aluimna is a ceramic-based polysynthetic TIM. Despite it's name...it does not contain any metal elements. It uses ceramic and oils for heat transfer. It is alos considered an electrical insulator and is great for chipsets and graphics cards. It can also be used on processors but might not perfrom as well as other Arctic Silver products for CPU cooling.

Arctic Silver adhesives are just what the name refers to...adhesives. The are mainly used for chipset and other heatsinks that do not have retention bindings of some sort. It comes in 2 different types, Arctic Silver adhesive and Arctic Aluimna adhesive. Despite the names...they are a little different with their element content. Arctic Silver adhesive contains silver and is slightly electricly conductive. Arctic Aluimna adhesive uses ceramic for heat transfer and is considered an electrical insulator.

You can read about these compounds here:)
http://www.arcticsilver.com/products.htm

You can read about 33 different TIMs put to the test here:)
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=138&Itemid=62

You know this thread is almost 5 years old. There has been probably 100s of them on compound since then.

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
You know this thread is almost 5 years old. There has been probably 100s of them on compound since then.

I was reading some of the early posts on CF, I saw it was approaching it's 5th birthday. I figured I would just drop in some information for an update:)

Jamin43

banned
Any opinions of Dynex Thermal Silver Compound

I just used some - b/c it was all Best Buy had on stock yesterday :good: