Thinking about upgrading my memory

mrbuddha

Hi,

I have a 3.06 GB pentium 4, with 512 MB of DDR 333 memory. I am thinking about adding another stick of 512MB. Will this make a noticable difference in the speed and performance of my computer? Also,...Is this process as simple as plugging the new card into the slot next to the existing memory?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 3.06 GB pentium 4, with 512 MB of DDR 333 memory. I am thinking about adding another stick of 512MB. Will this make a noticable difference in the speed and performance of my computer? Also,...Is this process as simple as plugging the new card into the slot next to the existing memory?
It will provide a performance boost but i wouldnt say an "earth shattering" one. :) Youll mostly notice any differences when doing serious work with your comp or when playing games ... and yeas its that easy to install

i picKed a winna

also, make sure if you have dual channel memory you buy two sticks of the same thing to take advantage of it because if you just put one stick and your computer uses dual channel you will lose the dual channel mode

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Adding more RAM is the cheapest and easiest way to upgrade your computer....

...all of these overclocking-the-cpu guys really dont need to... even intense 3d games dont realy use all of the CPU's potential... everything around the CPU slows down their games.... from their video card and its memory to the RAM you are looking to install more of...

...best bet do as "i picKed a winna" said.. make sure its dual channel memory and your set.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
...best bet do as "i picKed a winna" said.. make sure its dual channel memory and your set.
Arguable though .... 2x512MB PC3200 Dual Channel vs 1x1024 PC4000 Single Channel.... in 99% of cases the PC4000 will come out ahead (and give you a greater Dual Channel potential later in the future if you upgrade again). Dual Channel often doesnt account for more than 5% advantage :)

mrbuddha: what mobo do u have? :)