Third party flashguns

spirit

Staff member
Anybody here had any experience with third party flashguns? I may get one in the future sometime but I've noticed the third party flashguns are quite a bit cheaper than the genuine Nikon ones. Do these third party flashguns tend to be all right?

I was looking at the following:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TT520-Flash...89EO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357228544&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ELECTRONIC-...Y9TO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357228544&sr=8-3

There's more too, but I just wanted a general idea.

Thanks!

Justin

VIP Member
The only third party flashes I'd trust are Nissin or YongNuo. I have a YongNuo 465 and it's still fine after 2 and a half years.

I'd get the YongNuo 560, it's like a cheaper Canon 580EX II.

Last edited:

Justin

VIP Member
Yup, just as long as you get the one for Nikon.

In my case the 465 I have is for Nikon but I shoot with Canon. I can't use TTL on the flash but works on manual power(which I prefer tbh).

spirit

Staff member
It says it has the standard mount for Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc so it should work on my D3200 shouldn't it?

Probably won't be buying for a little while, but it may be good to have. :)

Justin

VIP Member
It says it has the standard mount for Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc so it should work on my D3200 shouldn't it?

That just means it'll fit on top of your cameras' mount/hotshoe. :p
To my knowledge it's only Sony that have different mounts/hotshoes.

spirit

Staff member
Ah ok then, n00b question alert but if it fits does that necessarily mean it's guaranteed to work? I did a very quick Google search and it would appear that it should work with the D3200. Would I need to change any settings on my camera to get it to work?

Justin

VIP Member
It'll work as a manual flash if you get one that isn't specifically made for Nikon. You'll miss out on TTL and probably even Master and Slave modes.

For reference. ;)
Glossary
TTL: (Through The Lens) metering. The flash itself will determine how much power it needs to light up the scene.
Master: On-camera flash used to trigger slave flashes.
Slave: Flashes that are set up off-camera.
Manual: You manually select the power of the flash.

spirit

Staff member
Ah ok, I'm getting it now. Thanks for your help and time Justin. Manual isn't a problem for me. :)

Thanks again, and thanks for following me etc on 500px. :D