this is so annoying!!!!

shupola

hey guys and gals,

i have a compaq presario 2100 series laptop that has a problem. for some strange reason, everytime i play an installed game the computer will shut down after a few minutes. i have no idea what the problem is, but i do know that it is BUGGING ME TO DEATH!!!!!!!! my comp has 194mbs of ram(256 - 64 for graphics), and an althlon amd xp-m 2200+ processor at 1.8ghz.

could someone please help me. if you have any suggestions, please let me know. i am willing to try anything at this point. it actually happens on newer games more than older. i still play the original half-life and it runs fine and smooth. i recently bought microsoft flight sim 2004, and surprisingly it runs fine on my 64mb card and 194mb of ram, but i have more ram on the way from newegg. any help is really appreciated.

shupola

actually i think my computer is getting overheated or something. when i play newer games, like flight sim, they really work my processor, and i dont feel much warm air coming out where the fans are. does anyone think this could be the problem?

wx6872

First, I think you need to check the drives for motherboard and videocard.
It happened to my comp once actually, but after i updated the drives, the problem was solved.
And if this doesn't work, i think it's the problem of hardware(possiblly the motherboard),you need to have it repaired somehow.

shupola

ok, i have a few more questions.
1. if it is the motherboard, how come it only crashes when i try to play a game. an example of what it does is like in ms flight sim, it usually crashes after a flight when i return to the menu. if it really is the motherboard, why would it only crash during games? i am getting to where i could probably time it down to the second.

2. could you please inform me on how to update the drivers for my comp? i have never done this and it could be the solution. i really want to find a solution at this point because this problem is about to drive me away from gaming for good, and i dont want that at all. thanks for all the help so far.

wx6872

you can go to your laptop manufacture website, generally, they should have the latest drivers.
I think this will help.

AMDCam

looks to me like you're right about it dude, it seems like overheating. A fan might be broken, or the heatsink may be faulty or something. You should go into your BIOS (when you start up your computer) and see if it has fan monitors, and check if they are spinning. If not, you can still look at your processor temperature. Try that, and if it's above about 50C running idle, you probably got a heating problem. Because games run processors (along with all applications) pretty hard, and if it doesn't just shut down doing normal stuff it's gotta be heat. If it's not though, the only other thing I can think of is your graphics card might be having a problem. When "critical errors" happen in the graphics card, it shuts down the computer. Sometimes the card might not be able to handle the game, or it's just a mistake the card makes. Like that one guy says, get your graphics card drivers updated. Oh yeah, and you shouldn't reformat your PC unless there's a huge virus or its running really slow and you can't figure out why or something, there's no point in that otherwise. The motherboard also, I really can't figure out why that would be a problem, except for the fact that the graphics card is built-in to it, which means if your graphics card really does have a big problem (which I don't think it does from what you're saying), you'll need your entire motherboard replaced also. Hope I can help.

Last edited:

shupola

problem solved

thanks for all the help guys, but the problem has been solved.

i got my ram from newegg and now it doesnt crash. so now i have 704mb of ram (768-64 for graphics) and it runs great and has never crashed since. i got it last wednesday and it runs perfect.

is it possible that my computer got overheated because of a lack of ram?

AMDCam

Well that's kind of wierd, it could be that there was so much load on the RAM it shut down, but usually there's a danger zone and windows shuts programs down before it shuts the computer off. But good job man, I would never have guessed (or it would have taken a couple hours of thinking).