Time For A LAN Server

g4m3rof1337

[-0MEGA-];1138725 said:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like you've been talking about setting up servers and such for a LAN center that you will be running for years, but has anything even come of it?

LAN center? If you're referring to my thread about making a room more gaming friendly, with low lights and stuff, that was for my bedroom, and I've been slowly working on it.

And these servers are for my LAN business, it just so happens I'm planning a tournament next year, and want to be prepared.

Vipernitrox

i don't know about the other people in this thread but i'm still wondering why you want to spend so much money on this? Getting a rack and using rack servers is pretty much useless unless you got 5 or more servers. Plus you're going to be needing some airco equipment to keep that room cool or otherwise it'll be like an oven.

Like tlarkin said convert an old pc or build yourself a new one if you don't have one. You don't even have to spend above 500 dollars or something.

then the router. i'm not to experienced in that area so i'll just go with what tlarking said again :p.

g4m3rof1337

i don't know about the other people in this thread but i'm still wondering why you want to spend so much money on this? Getting a rack and using rack servers is pretty much useless unless you got 5 or more servers. Plus you're going to be needing some airco equipment to keep that room cool or otherwise it'll be like an oven.

Like tlarkin said convert an old pc or build yourself a new one if you don't have one. You don't even have to spend above 500 dollars or something.

then the router. i'm not to experienced in that area so i'll just go with what tlarking said again :p.

I can find new capable servers for under $500, I was talking to one of my IT friends, and he pretty much told me what I need to get server wise, so now I'm looking. The only thing I need to narrow down now are switches, I'm pretty sure we're going to go with 10/100, since we don't plan on swapping files and whatnot.

Any recommendations on some switches?