To compress, or not to compress, that is the question

sayguh

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum but i have one real quick question. My mother has a 6 year old compaq pesario 5190 and I just finished putting in a new hard drive (came out of my xbox so it's a 8 gig seagate i think) I used NTFS to compress the old hard drive which is now the slave, but should I compress the main hard drive also to save space? I've herd in some cases it makes the computer run faster since it can grab more data at one time and decompress it on the fly real easily. Or should I not compress the main hdd since it is an old shitty computer? Please e-mail me back ASAP [email protected] thnx fellas.

6 year old Compaq Presario 5190
400 mhz processor
256 RAM
Windows xp professional

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
As a general rule you should never compress a drive with the os and programs installed. Some programs wont run on a compress drive anyhow so I'd recommend not even trying, assuming that windows would allow you to compress the main drive anyhow.

sayguh

Thnx guys

Thnx guys, i'd already compressed it, so i'll uncompress it now. It was mess'n up on some things anyway, but it has a new OS and a new HD so i wasn't sure what was caus'n what, also a couple conflicting programs damn norton internet security and zone alarm.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
If you installed those programs while the drive was compressed then you might have to reinstal some of them.