Transfer of files to new user

esmeralda

Hi everybody
:confused:
Had a bad scare last week with a bad virus infection, and the person who helped me out suggested as a safety measure to create a new user (limited access) on my PC - I am the only one that uses it, and use the new user id rather than the adminstrator, for surfing the web. Makes sense ?no?
My question is how can I get some of the docs across from the adminstrator to my new user. Is it just a question of copying to a UBS key then transfering or is there another way.
Obviously the object of the exercise is to limit damage control in case of another infection so don't want to 'bring ove'r to much stuff, but outlook express is a must, my calendar & a couple of other things as well
Any suggestions - or am I wasting my time - I have a new anti virus, Spybot S&D, Cclearner and Zone Alarm
Thanks

P373R

hmm yes

i am not entirely sure what virus you have exactly, however i am a student and it seems to be that viruses at our school are very USB inclined these days. and depending on the virus [im not an expert] i would say it would be designed to infect your "WHOLE" computer. not just one user, someone can correct me if i am wrong but i dont think a new user would be the best solution.

my personal home computer, consists of 2 drives. a 60Gb seagate and a 120GB WD, the 120 obviously contains all of my documents and the 60 has my operating system and programson it. of what i am aware of viruses mostly are targeted at programs and operating system. and for convinence Re-Installing Windows dosnt erase my tresured data.

---
ANYWAY back to your Question. when logged on as "administrator". if you go into "C:/Documents and Settings" you should see both Administrator and {your new users} name in two folders.

anything you want placed on your new users accout should be either dropped/coppyed into:

C:/Documents and Settings/New User/Desktop
or
C:/Documents and Settings/New User/My Documents

don't know if this helps?