Trouble with a new pc build...

wager

My son and I just completed our first pc build and we have run into an issue.

the setup:
Phanteks evolv x case
Gigabyte z390 aurorus ultra motherboard
I7 processor
Corsair vengeance rgb pro RAM
Thermaltake toughpower 850w 80+ gold power supply
Samsung 970 evo SSD

issue: we have installed all of the parts but when we plugged it in and turned it on for the first time (before even loading the operating system) the computer turns on for a second or two then turns off, then turns on again, then turns off, over and over again. We get no signal to the monitor an it won’t boot up. Any ideas?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Sounds like it's not posting. Does the motherboard make any beeping noises that are in a specific pattern?

First thing to try is try reseating the RAM. Also make sure they're in the right slots unless you've already used all 4 slots.

If that doesn't work, you may have to try reseating the motherboard from the standoffs. It maybe shorting to ground if you didn't mount it right.

wager

Ok thanks for the feedback. We have moved the ram around and are seeing the same behavior so we will check out the motherboard and see what happens.

beers

Staff member
Check out power and similar. I had a similar build with my nephew where one of the power cables was inverted to the PSU causing a boot loop.

wager

Ok, we are making progress (I think). We found that we had an incorrect connector plugged into the power supply and now when we boot it up the computer stays on, however, after 5 seconds or so the lights on all the components flash and then the lights on the motherboard and the ram cards goes out. Still no signal to the monitor. Any ideas at this point?

wager

Ok, we were able to figure things out. Had a cord plugged in incorrectly. Currently have no graphics card but that is on the way.