Troubleshooting Razer Headset

Timmie

I wasn't sure if the belonged in the Accessories forum, or this one, but it's more related to sound so I put it here.

To replace my current (working) headset, I bought this Razer Carcharias headset off eBay and the guy said it worked 100%. I got it, tested it on my PC, and it doesn't work. All I get from the mic is steady, quiet white noise. A refund is in the works, and I'll be keeping the headset, so I thought I'd see what you guys thought.

I fiddled with it for a good 45mins, including testing it on three PCs(One sound card, two onboard), with still no luck. The headset has one of those volume and mute boxes on the cable, so I held transmit and switched it to mute, then back to unmute. The white noise never ceased. With my other headset, I flip it to mute and the noise stops until I unmute.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or troubleshooting suggestions. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of to try is to take the mic apart and cross the leads going to the mic. Make sure your volume is on low but you should get a crackling/poping noise when they are touched together. If that happens you know the wire is good and that the mic is bad. If you hear nothing than somewhere in the wire there is a problem (possibly at the control you explained)

Last edited:

Timmie

Another note: Although the mute switch on the controller doesn't do anything, when I unplug the headset, the white noise stops.

Also, are you saying I should take a wire and place it between the two, connecting them, or that I should unsolder the connections, then try them in reverse order?

Timmie

I went through the different fields in there, and tested my sound device through dxdiag and it failed. I tried testing the mic with acceleration disabled and it still produced the same results. I've accepted that it's a hardware-related fault.

Once THERMAL-REACTOR gets back to me, I can run that test and I'll have further info after hopefully.

Timmie

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I won't be able to get warranty support without forging a fake sales receipt. While possible, I'm not going to do that. So, if I send it back, I'll be paying to have it repaired.

However, I will send an email to their support team and see if they have any further suggestions. Who knows, maybe they'll offer to repair it free anyway! (Yeah, right)