Trying to add 1 GB of ram: now big trouble...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are all your sticks PNY? The same speed and timings? Take out the new memory and see if your computer responds correctly.

fmonte

By the way John, yes you are awesome because I was so scared I was going to loose my data and now even though the computer is acting up you have given me a second chance to back up my stuff so for that I am very grateful.

Tried to pull up Outlook and it is not responding.

Can't get on the internet either

Last edited by a moderator:

fmonte

System properties just popped up. That means it took about 15 to 20 minutes to pop after I clicked on it. The new ram does show up. Any ideas as to what is the problem. Did I do unrepairable damage by poppin in that PC 5300 stick?

fmonte

No the computer was running great. I should have left well enough alone but I had one bay open for a stick of ram and I thought that might make the computer run a little faster so that is why I added it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How much memory was installed before you added the new? Take out the new memory and see what happens.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
This has nothing to do with your cmos battery, However, PLEASE answer my questions i've asked you.

fmonte

to answer your question 2 gb. Please note: the computer is working fine now. It as if it took it 15 minutes to fully boot up. I can now get into Outlook and on the internet. I think I will reboot now and see if it acts the same way. I will let you know. This is the same thing it did last night with the other ram. Any idea why this would be? the PNY tech guy was so convincing that it was the battery, now I am totally confused. Thank you.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you are a standard computer user, 2gb of memory is plenty for windows XP. XP 32 bit will only recognize up to 3.25 gb anyway. Take out the new memory, If the computer works normally then you have an issue with the new memory, return it.

I'm going to bed and will check in on this in the morning before going to work.

fmonte

Pulled the nely installed Ram, same problem. After boot can not get into system properties, internet or Outlook for 15 minutes. During that time I can open documents and other applications that I use like Paperport. After the 15 minutes it runs fine and in the system properties it shows either 2 or 3gb of Ram. Understand before adding this stick my computer would boot in less that a minute and I was off and running to any application and the internet.

You asked about the ram:

First two bays closest to the fan: 512 mb pc2 4200 533 mhz, came with Acer Aspire T180 so I don't know the brand.

Third Bay: Us Modular 1gb, pc2 4200 533 mhz(loaded this 3 years ago with no problems)

Forth Bay: Installed PNY 1 gb pc2 5300 533 mhz two days ago and as mentioned called PNY and they said I should use matching so last night I installed the pc2 4200 533 mhz.

In case you are wondering, I was never told that I should match brands so I pretty much bought the cheapest I could find within the pc2 4200 533 mhz category.

Please help. Thank you. Frank

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You've got way too many brands of memory in your system. You may have faulty ram. If I were you, I would get all the same brand memory, same speed and timings and see what happens.

Also, can you tell me what system this is? I'm curious as to what the memory specs for the pc is. Either need the motherboard model if it's a custom built machine or the brand and model if its store bought.

fmonte

I have been running the 3 sticks of different brands for 3 years. What happened that I can not revert back to this configuration. I have given up on adding the 4th stick. Thank you.

To answer your question, I have an Acer Aspire T180 Desktop. Here is the motherboard info:

ECS MCP61SM-AM DUAL CORE AM2 MOTHERBOARD, MCP61SM-AM V.1.0A GF6100

Manufacturers : Ecs - Elitegroup

Model: MCP61SM-AM V.1.0A GF6100
Categories: Amd Athlon / Phenom Motherboards

Specifications:
ECS MCP61SM-AM V.1.0A OEM Motherboard

CPU:
Socket AM2 with AMD Athlon 64 FX/ Athlon 64/ Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core/ Sempron processor
High-performance Hyper Transport CPU interface.
Support transfer rate of 2000/1600/1200/800/400 mega-transfers per second.

CHIPSET:
Single chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6100S

GRAPHICS:
On Chip (NVIDIA GeForce6100-based. 2D/3D graphic engine)
Share Memory: Maximum up to 256MB

MEMORY:
4 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM
Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture
Support DDR2 800/667/533/400 DDR2 SDRAM

EXPANSION SLOTS:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot (also runs in x8 mode)
1 x PCI Express x1 slot
2 x PCI slots

STORAGE:
Support by NVIDIA GeForce 6100S
2 x Ultra DMA133/100/66 devices
2 x Serial ATA2 devices

AUDIO:
8-channel audio
Compliant with HD specification

LAN:
10/100/1000MBPS Gigabit Lan

REAR PANEL I/O:
1 x PS/2 keyboard & PS/2 mouse connectors
1 x Serial port (COM1)
1 x VGA port
1 x RJ45 LAN connector
4 x USB ports
1 x FireWire
1 x Audio port (Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in.......)

INTERNAL I/O CONNECTORS & HEADERS:
1 x 24-pin ATX Power Supply connector
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V connector
1 x FDD connector
1 x IDE connector
2 x Serial ATA connectors
2 x USB 2.0 headers support additional 4 USB Ports
1 x COM2 header (optional)
1 x Front panel switch
Product Type: Recertified

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
After removing the newest ram you may have to reset the cmos by removing the cmos battery.

You will want to remove the power cord from the power supply, remove the cmos battery and then press the power button on the case a few times to discharge any remaining power, wait a minute and then reconnect everything.

Just make sure you remember the settingss you had before.

fmonte

Thanks John, can you elaborate on what you mean when you say "remember the settings you had before". I don't know what they were 3 days ago before I started this. If you mean remember the settings now, please explain how I get to those settings and which ones I should write down. Thanks again.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have to put the seagate drive back to first hard drive instead of the maxtor. I think that would be the only setting you'll have to remember.

fmonte

Followed the instructions, as a matter of fact took out the newly installed ram and went one step farther and removed the ram I added 3 years ago. In other words, went back to the 2 512mb that came with my Acer desktop. No difference. Now, as I mentioned above: "can not get into system properties, internet or Outlook for 15 minutes. During that time I can open documents and other applications that I use like Paperport. After the 15 minutes it runs fine." Any more ideas of what I can do.