trying to install new hard drive Help !!!

glasgowjim

First post so here goes...

My oldish computer runs on XP and I have the XP pro + service pack 3 installation disc and drivers disc + cert of authenticity so all legal. So I have a 147 GB hard drive which is almnost full so I went out and bought a 320 Gb (its big enough for what I do ) and went to install it and thats when the problems started !

removed the old 3.5 sata HDD and replaced it with the new 320 Gb 3.5 sata HDD went to install the XP from the CD and the windows setup does not show any drives available . Have faffed around with having the 2 HDD installed but the system will only recognise the smaller capacity HDD.

I need some serious help here as I have tried the obvious stuff but have a a wall everytime. PS I am a shoestring budget.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As long as the system was running well then all you need to do is clone the old drive to the new. However, you did attach a sata power cable and sata data cable to the new drive correct? Its also very possible that the bios is set for AHCI mode which means XP won't have built in driver available so the install will detect the drive. Does the drive spin up when you turn the computer on?