TV Tuner and compatability

dixieman

I want to have a high end video card as my primary graphics card. I also want a tv tuner card to use my computer to watch tv and use it as a Tivo.

If I'm going to get an ATI video card, should I also get an ATI tv tuner??

If so (and even if not), which tv tuner cards do you guys recommend??

I run Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and two ATI E-Home Wonder TV Tuner cards ...and a RADEON X300 series video card.

Not the top of the line, but it works GREAT!

...dont see any reason to spend top dollar (I am not a gamer..).. and DVD's and cable television looks really good with this setup.

..of course check out ATI's Website... Some like NVidia over ATI.. but for ATI fans, RADEON X800 (ALL-IN-WONDER X800 XT) looks real good.

dixieman said:
You can only run two tv tuner cards with the Media Center OS right??

Yes. And I think ALL-IN-WONDER are not yet supported by the MCE OS.... So E-Home Wonder is your best bet (and I recommend it)

So, since I won't be running Media Center (unless Microsoft starts selling it to consumers) the E-Home Wonder would still be a good choice for XP Pro??

dixieman said:
So, since I won't be running Media Center (unless Microsoft starts selling it to consumers) the E-Home Wonder would still be a good choice for XP Pro??

I would say so. Have not used it in XP PRO... but MCE Edition was built right off of XP PRO.. so it should work just fine. Make sure to get all the new drivers.

(But do your own research.... google around before you make your decision final.)

dixieman said:
Thanks for the help. For some reason, picking out the right tv tuner has been somewhat of a headache.

I spent months (about 2 1/2 years ago) getting my home theater surround sound system together... By the time I finished deciding on a receiver, Harman/Kardon came out with a new one... which made me rethink my entire setup...

But spending enough time on thorough research...pays off in the end, I haven’t touched at thing (other than many new computers ;) ) since my original purchases ...and everything still sounds great.

So, short story long: research and customer reviews are important... and worth the immediate headache :D

Back