Two CD drives??

Ryan Little

Hi

I've just bought a new PC that has a CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD/DVD-RW drive installed. I want to intall a 52xCD-ROM in the bay beneath it but I'm not sure how everything connects up. Which should be switch to master and wich one to slave, and also how do I get them both running through my sound card?... :confused:

I'm a bit crap at stuff like this......sorry

Ryan

ZER0X

VIP Member
and also how do I get them both running through my sound card?...
Sorry I dont know what you mean by that ?!?

you make your cdrw as master and your cdrom slave
It doesn't actually matter, you could have a CD-ROM as Primary slave and CD-RW as secondary master just as long as you have them connected....but to have it neat just do what davet said you make your cdrw as master and your cdrom slave and put it on the secondary side.....thats if you want to :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
and also how do I get them both running through my sound card?...
Either get a digital and analog cable or two analogs. Connect the cables to the CD/AUX or CD/DIG on the sound card. This isnt really required anymore as data is transmitted via IDE cable

Sorry I dont know what you mean by that ?!?
To connect the CD-AUDIO-out cables to the soundcard.

Ryan Little

Sorry, but I'm still confused about the audio cable.

My current DVD-RW came ready installed. After I'd installed a new sound card I ran a cable from the sound card to the DVD-RW thus connecting them both. I know now to set my new CD-ROM to slave and how to do it. I know how to attatch the ribon cable and power supply to it. What I dont know is do I need to have a cable running from the new CD-ROM into the sound card? If so how do I do it because there is only one connector on the sound card? Do I have to run a cable from the new CD-ROM to the DVD-RW and then from the DVD-RW to the soundcard?

Am I getting on anyones nerves yet?...... :eek:

Ryan

smitherz

you don't need to connect the audio cable to the CD-ROM just the IDE. as long as it is connected to the DVD-RW you should use that primarily.

smitherz

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The only instance you might want to connect the sound cable ... that cable allows for boottime playback :)