Unable to enter windows after installing mobo drivers

ganna

Hey ppl....i'm new & probably pretty stupid here.

Anyway, I installed the drivers from the motherboard software, it told me to restart..but it keeps running into a blue screen sayin: A problem has been detected & windows has shutdown to prevent damage to computer.

Any help as to how I can fix this?

BTW my OS is windows XP Pro

NeuromancerWGDD'U

I had the same (or at least similar) problem with the computer I just got through building. The MOBO driver disk had installed NT system files over my 98 system files, so I just reinstalled windows, and it works beautifully.

ganna

in safe mode I get a black screen with Safe Mode written in the corners, a msg pops up but before I can read it all it restarts

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Hmm...well, I didn't get that, so either it replaced different system files more integral to the core of the OS, or it's something totally different.

Last edited:

Sebouh

well press f8 after u boot ur pc adn then from the choice menu try the option that says last known good configuration.

BishBosh

in safe mode I get a black screen with Safe Mode written in the corners, a msg pops up but before I can read it all it restarts
In which case a *very* important device can't start. My guess is it's the hard disk driver in some manner and the BSOD is saying "inaccessible boot device".

You don't normally need to "reformat and reinstall", just boot from the installation CD and run the reinstall, or update option (the options available change according to what the pre-scan finds).

As the mobo drivers are there this time round, XP should works things out and get it right this time.