Unable to uninstall Edge

Luis74

Hello, fist time posting. Edge on my son’s computer began randomly opening every couple of minutes by itself and then closes after a minute or so. It keeps doing this even after restarting and shutting down and restarting. I tried to uninstall Edge but it will not uninstall. I have tried using command prompt, CCcleaner and Revo. No matter what I try it gets to the final stage and then nothing. Once I click finish or hit enter nothing happens. Do you guys have any suggestions before I go the nuclear route and format the hard drive? Any input would be appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
With it opening by itself, the pc most likely has malware on it. Download and run Malwarebytes and see what it finds, let it quarantine anything it finds. When you turn the machine on, press ctrl-alt-del keys and open task manager, click on the startup tab and see if there is any weird entries in there and disable them.

Luis74

I figured it is malware of some sort. I tried scanning with both Windows Security and ESET, but neither of them came up with anything. I’m not use if either can find malware. I did think about Malwarebytes. I ended up just deleting the entire Edge Folder from the Program Files(x86) folder. So far the computer seems to be doing fine. I was worried that just deleting the folder would cause some instability in Windows but nothing so far. I will update if it turns out to have been a bad idea deleting the folder.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on what windows 10 build was installed originally, Edge may be integrated into the OS like Internet Explorer was years back. You can't technically uninstall it/remove it totally from the system.