"Unmountable Boot Volume" Hard Drive Problems

Computer Man5

I have a IBM THinkpad 570 with a Pentium 2 366mhz and a 6.5 Gb Hardrive. When i start it up and it boots it starts to load then makes a click noise about 5 times when the Windows XP Home Loading screen comes up. Then the blue error screen comes up and says it has a "Unmountable Boot Volume" and then reboots. I think the Hardrive may have died but im not completly sure. Any Ideas?

Thanks. Computer Man5 :mad:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
That clicking noise isn't good at all...
But try running "chkdsk /f" from the recovery console.

ZER0X

VIP Member
B3N had the same problem....You just need a WINXP home cd and goto Recovery console and run chkdsk

4W4K3

VIP Member
most of the time clicking fromthe HD means a loose disk or bad head. might be scratched if sumthin is loose. but it might not be from the HD...i'd try chkdsk or w/e Lorand said :)

Computer Man5

Thanks To everyone for their replies. I have tried booting from the WINXP Cd and trying to reformat/recover. But when it access's the HD to recover/reformat it takes 5 minutes and there the clicking noise again. The HD light stays on constantly. When the right screen comes up, i press enter to reformat and it says it cant access the drive. So i do think the HD is done. Looks like ill have to buy a new one. I will try chkdisk command and post a reply later.

Thanks everyone

(Piece of crap HD)

4W4K3

VIP Member
at least it wasn't a 60GB or larger. 6.5GB is ok to lose i guess...not much info on there. Where are you going to look for a replacement?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Why don't you buy just a new hard disk? No need to throw away the whole laptop becuause of a hdd crash...

Computer Man5

I looked for replacements. I bought the computer on Ebay for $399 in 2002. The HD's are over $100 for about 13gb from IBM. Plus its not worth the labor. i really dont think its worth fixing it because of its age and peformance. (It only has a 2mb 2D graphics card). Although it has been really good to me i think ill get a new one and keep it for parts, or try to fix it later.??

Thanks,
Computer Man5

4W4K3

VIP Member
Computer Man5 said:
I looked for replacements. I bought the computer on Ebay for $399 in 2002. The HD's are over $100 for about 13gb from IBM. Plus its not worth the labor. i really dont think its worth fixing it because of its age and peformance. (It only has a 2mb 2D graphics card). Although it has been really good to me i think ill get a new one and keep it for parts, or try to fix it later.??

Thanks,
Computer Man5

yah $100 for a 13GB old HD is ridiculous. id try selling it on ebay (tell them its broken) and you could use w/e money u get towards the newer laptop.

ZER0X

VIP Member
4W4K3 said:
yah $100 for a 13GB old HD is ridiculous. id try selling it on ebay (tell them its broken) and you could use w/e money u get towards the newer laptop.

Yes there really isn't much point of getting a 13gb HD that costs that much....consider upgrading your laptop ;)

Computer Man5

Yeah ill do that 4W4K3. Good idea. Upgrading it well, not a good investment. Parts for a laptop are pethetcic $$$$$. I will run some tests on it and then make my decision.

But first ill mount my boot n the computer....LOL!!

thanks

Computer Man5

I would like to Thank everyone for their help on my problem.I purchased a 20gb HD for my laptop and am going to start again.

END OF THREAD

Computer Man5

:)