Unmountable Boot Volume

TryingToProve

When my computer turns on that message pops up. Unmountable_boot-volume. I go to F8 and do the recovery console and it pops up again on a blue screen stating unmountable_boot_volume. please help me. I am on my parents computer next door. help me asap please

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That means your hard drive has errors on it and they need to get fixed before windows will boot. Do you know what brand of hard drive it has?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You may need to find a friend that has computer experience where you are. You need to find out what brand the hard drive is, which means you will have to open the case, find the hard drive and give me the brand. I can link you to the software to download and create a bootable cd.

TryingToProve

is there any way I could use my parents cd that goes with their computer? or no? How do I find out what hard drive it is on my computer. Take it apart and look?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is it an actual microsoft XP install cd or a recovery cd? It needs to be a microsoft install cd.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you tell me brand and model of computer you have? How old is it? If its an older computer its possible you have an IDE drive which will have a wide flat ribbon cable going to it from the motherboard.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The hard drive will look like this.

1tb-desktop-3-5-sata-hard-drive-dhd-sata-1tb.jpg

Your motherboard looks like this.

MCP61SM2MA_1.jpg

The hard drive will be a device attached to a cable that hooks into connection labeled "U". They are blue colored sata ports.