Upgrade graphics Card

TinneM

Hello everyone,

I have a question, I mainly play games on 1080p. This is my current setup;

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. STRIX Z270H GAMING (LGA1151)
Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1500MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1080-O8G-Gaming
500GB Crucial SSD for OS and another 1000GB for games
Corsair RMX850x
Windows 10 pro

I was wondering if I upgrade the graphics card only if it's enough to play the latest games on PC for the next 4years? And is the power supply enough for this?
This is the one I had in mind ; Asus Geforce RTX 3080 TUF-RTX3080-O10G-V2-Gaming

TinneM

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The power supply is overkill but how old is it? What games do you play? Its possible you might not even need one that powerful.

TinneM

The computer is from 2017, and the power supply is from 2021. I play a lot of different games ; Call of duty, Pubg, Hunt Showdown, Overwatch, Shadow of the Tomb Taider, Green hell, DayZ, Sea of thieves.. Or might it be better to sell the computer as it is considering the age? Or would a new graphics card be enough?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah the 3080 is overkill for those games. You have decent amount of ram, good cpu so as long as nothing happens to your system, you should be alright for awhile. Do you feel the 1080 isn't cutting it now? I checked system requirements for all those games and your current specs beat even the recommended hardware requirements not just the minimum requirements.

TinneM

Thank you! I do encounter FPS drops (spikes) in some of these games, I forgot to mention but I also have 3 - 24inch monitors connected to the graphics card. Most of the times it's just my main monitor and a second monitor that is running, could that also cause FPS drops/spikes when they're all on?

Darren

Staff member
As long as your secondary monitors aren't rendering anything super intense, it shouldn't really matter. Maybe a few frames but not enough to make or break it.

1080 is probably struggling with some newer stuff, looks like you play a lot of FPS. 3080 would be worth it and PSU is good.