Upgraded Computer to Ryzen 3600X Questions / Power Supply Modular

mtb211

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all staying safe during this stressful time. I did not know how to write a synopsis for my issue in the title. I recently upgraded my Intel 6600K to a Ryzen 3600X.

Obviously I had to buy a new motherboard and my power supply broke so I purchased a new modular power supply.

Here is my motherboard

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T2FWCYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am struggiling with my modular power supply and where I need to plug in my 12V connection. My CPU sockets have 6 pins instead of a normal 4, does anyone know if I need to use all of those?

The first four pins say CPU 1 and the next 4 pins say CPU_PWR2... has anyone come across that? I can take photos if needed.

Thank you in advanced.

Edit the PSU is a Corsair 650 RX that apparently is refurbished and it did not come with a manual.

Intel_man

VIP Member
That's not 6 pins... its a 8+4.

Your PSU should come with two 8 pin connectors that is configured as 4+4 each. So you need to plug it in as a "8+4".

mtb211

That's not 6 pins... its a 8+4.

Your PSU should come with two 8 pin connectors that is configured as 4+4 each. So you need to plug it in as a "8+4".

Hey Thanks! So you were right it was 8 pins but there were an extra 4, I just did not need to use them. Took me a while to get everything up and running, was hoping to see more a performance boost though!

beers

Staff member
Hey Thanks! So you were right it was 8 pins but there were an extra 4, I just did not need to use them.
You might as well connect the other 4 pin for additional power delivery. You probably won't notice a difference with your current config unless overclocking or putting a higher power draw CPU in there down the line.
was hoping to see more a performance boost though!
You should have a lot more multithread capacity/performance. Single or lightly threaded workloads won't be enormously faster by themselves.