upgrading memory of laptop

computerhacker

hi im think of buying a new laptop.

does it matter what brand of ram it is eg if its a dell brand 256mb ram ddr do i have to get another of the same or can i get a different brand and still work.

i know that if the laptop runs on ddr then i have to get ddr ram.

alanuofm

VIP Member
yes you can upgrade the ram. standard pc3200/2700/2100 ram is 200 pin on a laptop. you can find relatively cheap ram on newegg. the ocz is great ram at a cheap price.

computerhacker

pc3200/2700/2100 is this the type of ram or something im don't know the in depth about computers and laptops but i know the basics. does the brand of ram matter or can it be a mix of any sort. is it diffecult to install ram on any of these models of laptop-PACKARD BELL E2540, PACKARD BELL E2316, PACKARD BELL E2232, TOSHIBA
EQUIUM L10-273. by diffecult i mean is the ram located on the bottom of the laptop(near to the removable(screws) panel)

alanuofm

VIP Member
packard bell laptops haha i remember their craptastic computers. from what i found on the internet they use ddr ram. newer models are laptop just require a screw to remove a cover and the ram slides right in. pc3200/2700/2100 are different speeds of ram, pc3200 being the fastest and usually the higher latency of them. it goes even higher into pc4200 but those are ddr2. you should find out what kind of ram it uses before buying it. download everest home edition and browse around for info.

computerhacker

alanuofm said:
packard bell laptops haha i remember their craptastic computers. from what i found on the internet they use ddr ram. newer models are laptop just require a screw to remove a cover and the ram slides right in. pc3200/2700/2100 are different speeds of ram, pc3200 being the fastest and usually the higher latency of them. it goes even higher into pc4200 but those are ddr2. you should find out what kind of ram it uses before buying it. download everest home edition and browse around for info.

so i should not buy any packard bell laptops. what about the toshiba laptops.

pc3200/2700/2100-do both the ram have to be at the same speed for them to work together or can one be 2100 and the other 3200. whats the term used for this.

alanuofm

VIP Member
computerhacker said:
so i should not buy any packard bell laptops. what about the toshiba laptops.

pc3200/2700/2100-do both the ram have to be at the same speed for them to work together or can one be 2100 and the other 3200. whats the term used for this.

no i do not suggest packard bell. i thought they went out of business because when i called them about my computer their line was disconnected.

yes toshiba, hp, dell, alienware, gateway, emachines are all reputable laptops.

you can mix and match different kinds of ram but your system will downclock the ram to run at the speed of the slowest stick you have in there.
pc3200 runs at 200mhz, pc2700 runs at 166 mhz, and pc2100 runs at 133mhz. pc2100 has basically phased out and pc3200 and pc2700 is generally what people use. also newer pentium computers are using ddr2 which are even faster.

computerhacker

does any of this have to do with 400 mhz fsb.

TOSHIBA EQUIUM L10-273 i'll proberly get this one if not a dell laptop. could you find out the type of ram it has and that cos i have no idea how to get any information about ram speed and what not.

highly apprieciated.

how do i find out what ram speed it runs at.

what is the standard looking info that it will be on

alanuofm

VIP Member
when you order the laptop, it will say what kind of ram it has. the speed deviation between 2700/3200 is not great enough to be of concern.

link to the laptop would be swell.

the 400 mhz fsb is the bandwidth between the northbridge and the cpu. generally speaking for intels, your ram speed should match up with the fsb. the reason being theres little use to sending data to the northbridge faster than than the northbridge can communicate with the cpu.

computerhacker

computerhacker said:
does any of this have to do with 400 mhz fsb.

TOSHIBA EQUIUM L10-273 i'll proberly get this one if not a dell laptop. could you find out the type of ram it has and that cos i have no idea how to get any information about ram speed and what not.

highly apprieciated.

how do i find out what ram speed it runs at.

what is the standard looking info that it will be on

what if i buy two new sticks that run at a higher speed

alanuofm

VIP Member
computerhacker said:
what if i buy two new sticks that run at a higher speed

well if you buy two identical sticks then they run at that speed. just get pc3200. they are cheaper than pc2700 as they are slowing phasing out as well.

computerhacker

alanuofm said:
when you order the laptop, it will say what kind of ram it has. the speed deviation between 2700/3200 is not great enough to be of concern.

link to the laptop would be swell.

the 400 mhz fsb is the bandwidth between the northbridge and the cpu. generally speaking for intels, your ram speed should match up with the fsb. the reason being theres little use to sending data to the northbridge faster than than the northbridge can communicate with the cpu.

link-http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1378639951.1124125023@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjaddfhdhfhjfcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&sku=074685&category_oid=-15257&fm=0&sm=1&tm=undefined

and heres the link to some ddr rams-http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1378639951.1124125023@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjaddfhdhfhjfcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=ProductList&category_oid=-25099&search=all

alanuofm

VIP Member
since you are laptop shopping. the ram should be of little concern for you at this moment. what do you need this laptop for? do you have any portability preferences? what is your budget in american dollars :)

computerhacker

im gonna be watching movies playing some games surfing the internet. i can afford £500 i won't be ordering from another country as i've had some bad experiences.

alanuofm

VIP Member
would you consider ordering from dell? i've never had anything go wrong with them.

pc3200 is what you should use.

alanuofm

VIP Member
computerhacker said:
for a laptop running at 400mhz fsb then i should buy a pc3200 ram card.

does sodimms have and relevence Here

so dimm is a smaller form factor of ram for laptops. you shoulndn't but so concerned about the ram.