Upgrading my Grandmothers computer.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Because she isn't getting any security updates for it. You would have to format and install a clean OS and activate it, either 7, 8.1 or 10.

H4rdR3s37

Because she isn't getting any security updates for it. You would have to format and install a clean OS and activate it, either 7, 8.1 or 10.

As long I can remember, Microsoft have offered security updates to pirate Windows' also.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/faq

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/faq#
Yes. Regardless of genuine status, you'll still be able to get critical security updates. However, if your copy of Windows isn't genuine, you won't be able to install many updates that are exclusively for genuine Windows customers, including Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft strongly recommends that you get genuine Microsoft software immediately to help ensure a safer computing experience.

Zeuz

@johnb35 I just uninstalled my anti virus and disabled my firewall (both are active now) to update to Windows 10, and I already have yahoo as my browser homepage. I'm just wondering if what you told me to do to clean my grandmothers computer would be my best bet to get rid of this and/or any viruses + a virus scan.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would definitely run those programs on your system before upgrading to windows 10. Or you could actually backup any important data and do fresh install of 10 which is highly recommended anyway.

Zeuz

I've already upgraded to windows 10 from 7, I've tried to revert but I am unable to as its saying it doesn't have the required files. Windows 10 is running fine now that I have all the drivers for it. The only issue is when I open Chrome I get Yahoo, trying to remove it, but I don't see any files in the remove programs.

Zeuz

So, I found out the hard way that my Grandmothers pc takes PC2 not DDR2. I went to a local store and got 4 gb of cheap PC2 RAM quickly, put it in and had no issues, also cleaned the case. I didn't have much time, so I ran Malwarebytes and junkremoval before leaving, but both programs came up with 0 threats, I also got her some better web/virus protection. Now I just need to send this DDR2 back.

Thanks again for the help. Google Chrome runs much better.