Upgrading my old gaming rig / need help please

Milla Maxwell

Hi all
I'm in the process of fixing/upgrading. I've been spending a lot of time researching for answers of how & what to do, but I still run into new questions. The situation is somewhat complicated. It all began when I pushed the start button and nothing at all happened. Power cord is fine, the switch is good, the PSU has a blown fuse. Put new fuse in and blew that one also. So I'm trying to find a new PSU that will be compatible with this old computer. This is where I need help. I have listed the specs of the rid below. Right now I am wanting the get an EVGA fully modular, but not 100% sure it will be compatible. So I need to know how much wattage I should get, would any ATX PSU fit in the case, and is it a bad idea to get too much wattage PSU?

Alienware Area 51 specification
Date: March 16 2005
Customer ID:
Sales order number:
Service Tag #:
Componets list:
Model: Area 51 Full tower case 1.5 chassis
Power Suppy: Enermax EG465P-VE ATX 460Watt
Mother Board: ABIT AA8XE 925XE / Socket LGA775
Processor: Intel Pentium 4, 3.6GHz, 1MB Cache, 800 FSB
Memory: Samsung 4 x 1GB DDR2 - 4 DIMMs
Video Card: ATI Radeon X850 XT, 256MB, PCIE
Audio Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2, 7.1 pro
Hard Drive: 4 x Seagate Barracuda 160 GB 8MB Cache, SATA
Optical Drive #1: NEC ND-3520 16x DVD +R/W
Optical Drive #2: Plextor 52x
Floppy Drive: 1.44MB
Cooling: Vantec 80mm fan, Vantec 120mm fan
Effects: Dual cold cathode light kit

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Your computer is 10 years old. Time to build a new one.

If you're hell bent on replacing the PSU, any PSU will work as long as it has a 4-pin molex connector for your video card.

Milla Maxwell

Yes already 10 years old, but I have 10 year old games that I want to play. Unless I can build a new PC inside of this Area 51 case and still be able to play 10 year old games. This is a pre Dell Alienware.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yes already 10 years old, but I have 10 year old games that I want to play. Unless I can build a new PC inside of this Area 51 case and still be able to play 10 year old games. This is a pre Dell Alienware.
As I said, any PSU will work. Just look for a decent 500W PSU from Corsair.