upgrading ram

In order to have dual channel RAM you have to have two near identical modules of memory installed in the same bank.

Do you run anti-spyware and anti-virus software on your computer? When is the last time you defragmented your hard drive?
 
I just put the ram in the second part and this time there was no error. I ran an anti virus scan a couple days ago, and a defrag about a week. But i don't have an anti-spyware program on my computer because i thought it would slow it down. But now since i have 1.5gb, ill install one and run a scan.
 
I ran avg anti spyware and all it found was a tracking cookie. I thought by upgrading my ram by 1gb, the performance could increase a lot. But nothing seems to have changed... Oh well. Thanks for the help.
 
You might also want to do this:

Click start
Click Run
Type "msconfig"

Click on startup tab. Uncheck all programs you don't need to start when your computer boots up. This will decrease your boot up time.
 
Actually now i can run multiple programs such as Paint Shop Pro, Firefox, WinRar, and Widgets while listening to music without my computer slowing down too much. With 512mb of ram, only running Paint shop Pro would slow my computer down a lot. Its just that some of my games haven't improved much. However, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory runs very well. So i guess this upgrade wasn't a waste. Thanks again for the help!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top