upgrading the old rig

hondro

New Member
ok, since I've gotten accustomed to my dual core laptop and triple core desktop we have, my old p4 2.6ghz just aint cutting it. I don't need something crazy amazing, but I'd like to upgrade the proc, and with the socket (478 I believe?), I don't think I'll be getting anything too much better than what I already have.

Sooo, what I'm looking for is like a cheap dual core proc, and the mobo to go along with it. I'd appreciate not having to buy ddr2 ram too but yeah I know it may be inevitable, so anyways... anyone have any suggestions for some some old cheap dual cores and mobos to go along with them that'll blow the poor old p4 out of the water & not empty the wallet?
 
What are you going to use the PC for? You may be able to upgrade to a 3.2 GHz or a 3.4 GHz single core CPU without any other changes for $30-$50 from eBay. It depends on your motherboard though. More info here.

EDIT: I don't think there are any dual core socket 478 CPUs, so you're stuck with a single core unless you upgrade the motherboard.
 
Last edited:
What are you going to use the PC for? You may be able to upgrade to a 3.2 GHz or a 3.4 GHz single core CPU without any other changes for $30-$50 from eBay. It depends on your motherboard though. More info here.

EDIT: I don't think there are any dual core socket 478 CPUs, so you're stuck with a single core unless you upgrade the motherboard.

I'm basically just using it for internet, running simple programs, I don't NEED to make a huge upgrade, I'd just like to so I could get things to run faster.

yeah i hear u man, I was thinking about possibly doing something like that. The thing is I'm not sure if I want to buy a 3.4 if it wouldn't impact the speed a huge deal. I was thinking more about upgrading the mobo so I could get a low end dual core.

What do you guys think?
 
Back
Top