Upload/Download Question

Mr.Moose

Firstly, I'm not 100% sure this is in the correct topic for this question. If it isn't I apologize.

It's a pretty simple question and I think I know the answer... I plan to live stream a few things off my computer at a resolution of 640x360. Now lets say I would stream for exactly 2 hours, would this use the equivalent in bandwidth of downloading a 2 hour movie at the same resolution? I only ask as I'm getting close to breaking my bandwidth limit of 250GB monthly and wondering if somehow uploading would use any more bandwidth. I'm assuming it wont, but as I'm about 15% away from going over the threshold my ISP allows I don't want to take any chances.

Thank you!

tremmor

Ive run a ftp server for family and friends for upload and download constant at one time. Don't have no limit though. Comcast called and said i was using to much bandwidth and slow down others in the neighborhood. Upload and download is the same. No.....don't have comcast now because of choice. but a faster service with at&t Uverse w/ fiber optics.

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
It's a pretty simple question and I think I know the answer... I plan to live stream a few things off my computer at a resolution of 640x360. Now lets say I would stream for exactly 2 hours, would this use the equivalent in bandwidth of downloading a 2 hour movie at the same resolution?
Yes.

I only ask as I'm getting close to breaking my bandwidth limit of 250GB monthly and wondering if somehow uploading would use any more bandwidth. I'm assuming it wont, but as I'm about 15% away from going over the threshold my ISP allows I don't want to take any chances.
Whether or not uploading counts towards your usage depends on your ISP - however, I'm fairly certain that almost all ISPs do.

I'll just point out that upload/download speeds are generally different with upload speeds on an average ADSL connection being a *lot* slower. That is, even though you might be able to stream 640x360 video just fine, there's no guarantee that others will be able to stream off your computer, even if the usage caps would allow this.