!!URGENT!! Block unwanted user on wireless

spadjie

Setup my wireless network yestetrday without secuirity to see if i could just get it working. I managed file sharing between the two computers and internet on both. Today i have decided to put some secuirity on the network.

When viewing the client list of my router config i find my computers and then 192.168.2.5 KROCHE 00:14:A5:94:62:88 - which is not one of mine.

I used mac filtering to block this pc and allow my pc's only. I changed the default router password. I have stopped the broadcast of the ssid. But the client list still says the unknown computer is on my network. How do i get rid?

I also setup wep through the router config. I put in the passphrase and wrote down the key generated. Now, does this key need to be entered on any pc that uses a wireless adapter? And if so how do i do this (i have a belkin wireless g adapter).

Thanks for any help

Cheers

nffc10

I have found with my belkin router that if a computer has connected to your network before, even if it isn't on now then it stays in the clients list.....weird!

tlarkin

VIP Member
if its secured with a passkey the client will need the passkey to connect. a lot of times it will just keep those clients in the log even if they are not active. I have had lots of things show up in my router that are still there but I know are not connected because no one has my wpa passkey. It also shows clients who have attempted to connect. Just don't broadcast an SSID if you are worried about.

spadjie

But this pc was on the network before i added any secuirity.

I have entered a passphrase into my router config, but where do i enter it on my wireless adapter any advice?

P.S. is this a common problem, or should it be fine once i get all my secuirity going?

Cheers