USB 3 for camcorder?

I read USB 3 is backwards compatible so how do I plug it into my camcorder USB 2 port? the connectors look completely different. with these huge 20 gig files the extra speed would be a great help.

jamesd1981

All usb connectors are the same, but you can tell usb 3 as small plastic part inside will be either blue or red.

You will not get usb 3.0 speed using a usb 2.0 camcorder, both items need to be usb 3.0 capable or it will simply run at usb 2.0 speed.

It is unlikely your camcorder will have a standard usb connection it is most likely a smaller mini usb port.

What camcorder do you have ?

my camcorder is a sony HC65, it does have the mini plugs for fire wire and USB 2. My computer has two USB 3 plugins so I bought a USB 3 cable, one end plugs into USB 2 receptical but the other end fits nothing I can find. I looked at the 3.0 cables on line and they do not seem to have the shape of the USB 2 mini jack, it sure doesn't look like it would retro fit. Doing 20 to 40 gig files is not uncommon in video editing. USB 3 is ten times faster than USB2 and would sure be nice to use.

jamesd1981

Your camcorder is not usb 3.0 so you can not get usb 3.0 speeds.

The usb 3.0 cable you bought will not fit as it is a different connection, you need a usb to mini usb cable